What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
40 State Street ADMIRAL VERNON ALDERMAN LIBRARY UNIVERSITY Archibald and Merchant assembled multitude battle of Bunker Boston Massacre Boston names Bostonian Bunker Hill burned Captain Kidd Captain Preston Captain Robert Keayne Change Avenue Church citizens Coffee House Colonel Commonwealth corner of Exchange Cornhill Crispus Attucks Crooked Lane Custom House Directory of 1801 early east balcony erected Exchange Streets famous Faneuil Hall feet wide Gage Governor Leverett grog Henry Knox hero of Porto INAUGURATED FIRST GOVERNOR James Otis John Hancock Kilby Street killed King Street land leading merchants lived Long Wharf main guard main office marched up King Market Street market-place Massachusetts Bank meeting-house Old State House OLD TOWN HOUSE Porto Bello prison Province Puritan Regiment Revolution ROAST OX Royal Exchange Samuel scene sentry sheriff of Suffolk soldiers Stamp Act Street stood STREET TRUST COMPANY Suffolk County thoroughfare took its name trial of Captain troops William Phipps
Page 42 - Formed and Marched with Insolent Parade, Drums beating, Fifes playing and Colours flying up KING Street, each Soldier having received 16 rounds of Powder and Ball...
Page 5 - The first prisoner, for instance, of the stocks was the carpenter, Edward Palmer, who built them in 1639. The town fathers were incensed at his exorbitant bill for their construction, and they laid their strong hands upon him, and he forthwith spent an hour as a prisoner of his own creation and as a forbidding example to like grasping merchants with whom the early town may have been "afflicted.
Page 15 - Washington who had served on his staff, stood on the easterly corner of State Street and Merchants' Row. Over it was the wooden figure of the English admiral, sextant in hand, in the uniform of his rank, — quite appropriate as a sign for a tavern, when we learn that from the hero of Porto Bello comes the term "grog," which sea-faring men have given to strong drink.
Page 34 - From 1692, until 1774—75, when the Province concluded to dispense with its Governors, eleven such chief magistrates had received the Royal Commission, and had been proclaimed to the people from the State House.
Page 30 - with powder and ball." "Are they going to fire on the inhabitants? " asked another. " They cannot," said the Captain, " without my orders." " For God's sake," said Knox, seizing Preston by the coat,
Page 3 - The second meeting-house was destroyed in the conflagration of 1711, the greatest of the eight great fires that Boston had then experienced, but was rebuilt.
Page 24 - The building was of brick, one hundred and ten feet long, thirty-eight feet wide, and provided accommoda23 tion for the Governor, the Courts, the Secretary of the Province, and for the Register of Deeds. This...
Page 33 - Street is indicated by a stone block, with pavingstones radiating therefrom, about twelve feet south of the south-east corner of State and Exchange Streets.