Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia
First published in 1971 and revised in 1977, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia has sold more than 100,000 copies and become a veritable bible for the gardeners of the United States and Canada. Now the dean of American horticulture has revised this classic once again. In addition to offering the best general advice on gardening practice, this updated and expanded edition includes:
* Up-to-the-minute information on safe use of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides, along with a list of products that have been banned as unsafe since the publication of the last edition.
* New lists of quarantined plants, with the countries from which their importation is prohibited.
* Updated requirements for importing plants with minimum trouble.
* The newest and most popular varieties and hybrids now available, for hundreds of plants, along with their characteristics and requirements.
Whether you're an expert or an amateur, you'll find everything you need to know about planning, planting, and maintaining any kind of garden. Covering trees, shrubs, fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and lawns, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia features:
* 9,500 different plants listed alphabetically by scientific name, cross-referenced for common names.
* The rating of all species for hardiness, keyed to the six-color Hardiness Zone map of the United States and Canada.
* Boldface listing of scientific name, height, hardiness rating, and common name for easy reference.
* Description of the ornamental value for each plant, so you'll know what it will contribute to your garden before you plant.
* 53 lists of plants and display gardens for quick, expert help in choosing plants for specific purposes and locations.
* 59 major articles on horticultural practices, from air-layering to greenhouse management, from mulches to tree surgery.
With nearly 1,300 pages, 10,000 articles, 206 drawings, and more than 100 photographs, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia is the most complete, authoritative one-volume gardening sourcebook on the market today.
What people are saying - Write a review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - keylawk - LibraryThing
Encyclopedia for experienced gardeners. Includes 45 lists of plants for specific purposes -- Acid soil, Palms, Order of bloom, Shade, Shrub, Trees, Vines, Weeds, etc. Articles on controls under ... Read full review
Been using this book as a reference for over 20 years.