What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
adjoining adorned aisle altar arches arrondissement avenue bas-reliefs Boulevard bronze building built busts called ceiling celebrated central centre Champs chapel Charles Charles X chateau choir Christ church columns compartments consists contains Corinthian court crowned Dame decorated Doric Duke Duke of Orleans edifice elegant Emperor entrance erected establishment executed Faubourg St feet flanked formed formerly four France French fresco front gallery garden Germain gilt Grand Henry Henry IV hospital Hotel Imperial inscription interior Ionic King leads Louis Philippe Louis XIII Louis XIV Louvre Marie Marie Antoinette Marie de Medicis ment metres Minister monument Napoleon nave occupied opposite ornamented painted palace Palais Palais Royal Paris pavilions pediment Philippe de Champagne Pont portraits present Prince prison Quai representing residence Royal rue St Salle Salon sculptured side specimens splendid square staircase statues surmounted theatre tion tomb transept Tuileries vestibule Virgin visitor walls white marble
Page 74 - They are laid upon inclined slabs of black marble, twelve in number, open to the inspection of the public, in order that they may be recognized by those interested in their fate. Their clothes are hung up near them, as an additional means of recognition. If not claimed, they are buried at the public expense. The bodies are separated from the public by glass screens.
Page 26 - When the river rises more than 6 metres above its bed, parts of the town and adjacent country are liable to be inundated. The Seine communicates with the Loire by the canals of Briare and Orleans; with the Saone by the canal de Bourgogne ; and with the Somme and the Scheldt by the canal of St . Quentin. Modern improvements in ship-building now enable sea-going steamers to reach the ports of the Seine at Paris.
Page 112 - Boys enter the petits seminaires at 12, and leave at 18, being then considered to have concluded their rhetoric, and to be ready to enter on their course of philosophy in the higher diocesan college or grand seminaire. The Seminaire de St.
Page 190 - The spandrils and frieze are enriched with reliefs, and the attic is divided into compartments with circular shields, each inscribed with the name of some great victory. The internal sides of all the piers are inscribed with the names of 96 victories ; under the transversal arches with the names of generals. The northern pier of the eastern front bears...
Page 22 - Hydrometer, and so in proportion for any greater or less Strength than the Strength of Proof, and for any greater or less Quantity than a Gallon, viz.
Page 358 - MONNAIES. — A mint existed in Paris under the second race of kings, in the royal palace of the He de la Cite. It was afterwards established in the rue de la Monnaie...
Page 354 - Poland, who abdicated his crown in 1668, and died abbot of the monastery in 1672; the king is on his knees, offering up his crown to heaven, and in front of the tomb is a fine bas-relief of one of his battles.
Page 194 - This hotel, constructed in 1718, after the designs of Molet, for the Count d'Evreux, was afterwards purchased and occupied by Madame de Pompadour, mistress of Louis XV. Whilst in her possession, part of the Champs Elysees was added to the garden.
Page 513 - L'Etang, or great pond, facing the Cow lie la Fontaine, is a fine piece of water, of a triangular shape, about 1000 feet long on two of its sides, and 700 feet on the other ; it is entirely lined with sandstone, and contains a vast number of enormous carps, many of them of great age. A diversion peculiar to the place consists in throwing very hard rolls (sold by poor women on the spot) into the pond, and watching the eager and unsuccessful attacks of the carp upon them. In the middle is a handsome...
Page 47 - Parisiaci, which existed long after the fall of the Romans. For 500 years of Roman domination, Paris was the residence of a prefect. A palace was erected in the Cite for municipal purposes, and another on the south bank of the Seine, remains of which may still be seen.