The Tholos of Athens and Its Predecessors
American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 1940 - Agora (Athens, Greece) - 160 pages
This detailed account of excavations centered on the Tholos reveal this important building to have been the headquarters of the prytaneis, leading Athenian councillors. The book surveys the earlier buildings on the site, dating from the 6th century B.C., before focusing on the round building itself—a remarkably stable structure that was used for almost one thousand years. The Tholos itself was a surprisingly unpretentious structure with an inner diameter of less than 17 meters. Its walls were of crude brick resting on three or more courses of poros blocks. There was a main door on the east and a small door leading to a kitchen to the north.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
angle appears archaic base bedding beneath blocks bottom Bouleuterion broken brown building Building F carried century before Christ channel clay closely column complete construction continued corner course covered depth diameter disturbance doorway drain earlier early east edge enclosure evidence face fifth century floor foundations fountain fourth fragments front Height Hesperia immediately indicated inside irregular Kitchen late later length light limestone lower marble mass material measures Metroon middle monument mouth northeast noted original packing perhaps period pieces pipe porch poros pottery precinct preserved presumably probably Propylon quarter remains restored road roof round served shape side similar slabs southeast southwest square stone suggests surface terracotta thick third Tholos tiles trace upper wall width