Constantinople: Capital of Byzantium
Jonathan Harris' new edition of the CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title, Constantinople, provides an updated and extended introduction to the history of Byzantium and its capital city. Accessible and engaging, the book breaks new ground by exploring Constantinople's mystical dimensions and examining the relationship between the spiritual and political in the city.
This second edition includes a range of new material, such as:
* Historiographical updates reflecting recently published work in the field
* Detailed coverage of archaeological developments relating to Byzantine Constantinople
* Extra chapters on the 14th century and social 'outsiders' in the city
* More on the city as a centre of learning; the development of Galata/Pera; charitable hospitals; religious processions and festivals; the lives of ordinary people; and the Crusades
* Source translation textboxes, new maps and images, a timeline and a list of emperors
It is an important volume for anyone wanting to know more about the history of the Byzantine Empire.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Godguarded city
Palaces and power
Churches and monasteries
Two thirds of the wealth of this world
Other editions - View all
Alexios Andronicus Angelos Arabs army Asia Minor attack Attaleiates 2012 Augousteion Berger Blachernae Bosporus brought buildings Byzantine Constantinople Byzantine emperor Byzantine Empire Byzantium capital century Choniates 1984 Chora Christ Christian church city’s Clavijo column Constantine VII Porphyrogenitos crowd crusaders dome Doukas empress Eparch Figure fleet Forum Freely and Çakmak Galata Gate Genoese gold Golden Horn Greek Hagia Sophia harbour Hippodrome Holy Apostles icon imperial Isaac Istanbul Italian Jacoby Janin John Justinian Kinnamos Komnenos Land Walls Latin Empire Leo the Deacon Liudprand of Cremona Majeska Mango marble Mehmed merchants Metochites Millingen 1899 monastery monks mosaic mosque Mourtzouphlos Nikephoros once Ottoman Pachymeres Palace of Blachernae Palaiologos Pantokrator patriarch Pisans political Procopius of Caesarea Psellos reign relics Robert of Clari Roman Rome ruler Sea of Marmara Sea Walls ships Skylitzes 2010 statue Stoudios sultan TEXT BOX Theodore Theodosius Theophanes Confessor 1997 throne Venetians Venice Villehardouin 2008 Virgin visitors Whitby