The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures
Lucidly written by leading biblical scholar Michael D. Coogan, this balanced, engaging, and up-to-date introduction to the Hebrew scriptures distills the best of current scholarship. Employing the narrative chronology of the Bible itself and the history of the ancient Near East as a framework, Coogan covers all the books of the Hebrew Bible, along with the deuterocanonical books included in the Bible used by many Christians. He works from a primarily historical and critical methodology but also introduces students to literary analysis and other interpretive strategies.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Updates and revisions throughout, including new material on recent archaeological discoveries, new translations of many of the ancient texts, and new and revised maps and illustrations
* A new Table of Weights and Measures that provides modern equivalents for biblical weights and measures
* Expanded study aids at the end of each chapter, including additional "Important Terms," expanded "Questions for Review" sections, and updated bibliographies
* An updated Instructor's Manual with Computerized Test Bank on CD
* An updated Companion Website at www.oup.com/us/coogan containing numerous resources for students and instructors
A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Biblical Studies Online (www.oxfordbiblicalstudies.com)--a $180 value--is included with the purchase of every new copy of this text.
SAVE YOUR STUDENTS 20%!
This text is available in a discounted package with The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha: New Revised Standard Version, College Edition, Fourth Edition. To assign this package, order package ISBN 978-0-19-935856-4. For additional Bibles and packaging options, contact your Oxford University Press Representative at 800.280.0280
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.