In 1805, Aaron Olmstead purchased land in Connecticut's Western Reserve and named the township after his son Franklin. The Cuyahoga River ran through the plot of land, attracting many settlers. They built homes and businesses, including mills, which eventually inspired the village's name, Franklin Mills. Citizen Marvin Kent enticed the railroad shops to the village, and the population boomed. Prosperity followed, and in 1867, the name of the village was changed to Kent in his honor. In the 20th century, new businesses arrived, such as the Davey Tree Expert Company and the Twin Coach Company. Soon after, the bustling young city became the site of a normal school. In 1929, the school was renamed Kent State College, and by 1935, it gained university status. Today, Kent, the "Original Tree City," continues to serve as an educational and arts center.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.