Highlandtown's strong roots are nourished by old world traditions of family, culture, and faith. Settlement of the area first known as Snake Hill dates to the 19th century's expansion of the waterfront communities of Fell's Point and Canton. Farms and slaughterhouses soon emerged, relying heavily on immigrant laborers from Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia, and Ireland. Fort Marshall was established atop the area's highest point, the present site of Sacred Heart of Jesus Church. A military hospital emerged in Patterson Park, which began as a six-acre gift to the city from merchant William Patterson in 1826. After being renamed Highland Town" in 1862, Baltimore City annexed the town from Baltimore County and changed its spelling. By 1915, much of the retail district had been built along Eastern Avenue among row houses. Streetcars traveled down roadways of dirt or cobblestone, passing theaters, bowling alleys, horse-drawn wagons, and first-generation American children at play. Bakeries, barbers, grocers, and bars were on every corner, along with churches that worshipped in European tongues. There was no need to ever leave Highlandtown, and some folks never did."
What people are saying - Write a review
William Pattersons Park
For God and Country
2 other sections not shown
Other editions - View all
American Day author's collection background Baltimore Bullet Baltimore City Hospitals Baltimore County Baltimore Streetcar Museum baseball Canton Clinton Street Cork and Seal corner of Eastern Courtesy Angie Knox Courtesy Betty Lane Courtesy Carol Doroff Courtesy Elizabeth Adams Courtesy Enoch Pratt Courtesy Florence Gundlach Courtesy Jean Jomidad Courtesy John Rockstroh Courtesy Marion Zych Courtesy Marlene Donohue Courtesy the Maryland Courtesy Tony DiPietro Crown Cork DiPasquale Duckpin bowling East Avenue East Baltimore Street Eastern Avenue Eighth Haven Eleventh Kresson Enoch Pratt Free Faulstich Fells Point Foster Avenue Grand Theatre Greektown Heart of Jesus Highlandtown Hudson Street Inc./Baltimore Chapter NRHS left to right Lombard Street looking east Malashuk Maryland Rail Heritage MINNESOTA RAID parade Patterson High School Patterson Park photograph was taken posed Pratt Free Library Rail Heritage Library Regan Rita Hubbel Sacred Heart Snake Hill South Bouldin Street Southeast Community Development Sparrows Point Third Conkling visible Warga White Swan Park