A Topographical Dictionary of England: Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate & Market Towns ...& the Islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions; Illustrated by Maps of the Different Counties & Islands; ... and a Plan of London and Its Environs ...

Front Cover
S. Lewis, 1831 - Great Britain
1 Review
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 302 - WM bequeathed to the use and benefit of the rector, who then provides two hare pies, a quantity of ale, and two dozen of penny loaves, to be scrambled for. Attempts...
Page 352 - ... Deptford into the Thames. With regard to this stream, the " Kentish Traveller's Companion" (1789) says: "The river Ravensbourne directs its course through this parish ; at the hamlet of Southend it moves the engine by which the late Mr. How made those knife-blades now so famous throughout England." The name of this place is supposed to be derived from the Saxon leswe, a meadow, and ham, a dwelling. In the village and its vicinity are many handsome houses and detached villas, inhabited by opulent...
Page 342 - The town is within the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, who hold petty sessions...
Page 93 - Scotland, on the East by the German Ocean, on the South by the English Channel, and on the West by St.
Page 95 - ... almost entirely concealed from the higher grounds. Every brook which falls to the sea has its banks adorned with a profusion of wild and varying scenery ; the vales, commencing imperceptibly together with the course of their little streamlets, sometimes contract themselves into narrow glens, scarce affording a single rugged footpath — sometimes open into irregular amphitheatres of rock, covered with native ash or hazel, or deepen into ravines resembling the bed of a rapid river, terminating...
Page 299 - Halifax, who kept the common gaol in the town, had the custody of the axe, and was the legal executioner. The bailiff then issued his summons to the constables of four several townships within the liberty, to require four frith-burghers within each to appear before him on a certain day, to examine into the truth of the charge. At the trial, the accuser and the accused were confronted before the jury, and the goods stolen were produced.
Page 22 - The Trinity House" shall mean the master, wardens and assistants of the guild, fraternity, or brotherhood of the most glorious and undivided Trinity and of St. Clement in the Parish of Deptford Strond, in the county of Kent...
Page 277 - Harbour, is of a more elaborate style of architecture than any in the island ; it consists of a nave, two aisles, and a chancel, with a tower in the centre, surmounted by a low spire. The porch on the northern side is very handsome ; granite pillars support the arched roof, and on the walls are some exquisitely beautiful marble monuments.
Page 131 - Here are also several meeting-houses, a grammar-school, founded by Henry VIII., a national school, charity school, &c. Ely has a considerable manufactory for earthenware and tobacco pipes, and there are several mills in the isle for the preparation of oil from flax, hemp, and cole seed.
Page 389 - An antient manor-house of the Lacies in this town was lately used as a workhouse. The chief manufacture of the place is .that of cotton : the market is on Wednesday. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes near the town. The neighbourhood yields slate, coal, lime, and freestone. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, of the clear yearly value of 179/., with a glebe-house. There are several dissenting places of worship. The chapelry contained, in 1833, two partially...

Bibliographic information