Covina

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2007 - History - 127 pages
0 Reviews
Covina began as a coffee plantation carved out of Rancho La Puente, which John Rowland had purchased from California's Mexican government. Rowland later shared the land with his friend and partner William Workman, and after Rowland's death, his widow, Charlotte, sold 5,500 acres to Julian and Antonio Badillo, on which they attempted unsuccessfully to grow coffee. Joseph Swift Phillips purchased 2,000 acres of the Badillo land, subdivided the tract, and laid out Covina's town site. Covina came to grow, process, and ship eight percent of California's citrus, transforming into a farming community that was neither rural nor urban. Residents established cultural, social, and civic organizations, founded a scientific study group and a literary society, and even built an opera house.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Early Citrus Railroad Arrives
19
Electricity Automobiles Telephones Incorporation
37
Golden Years of Citrus
65
Between the Wars
87
The Great Change
115
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2007)

This rare collection of previously unpublished photographs is drawn from various public and private collections in the area. Author Barbara Ann Hall, Ph.D., is curator of The Vintage Years, Covina before 1950, a photograph exhibition in Covina City Hall. She was senior author of Mt. San Antonio College, the First Fifty Years, and she created the traveling exhibition Our Valley before 1949.

Bibliographic information