Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
acid American amnion animal antennae ants appear augite become beds birds blastula body bones botany Carboniferous cells character chitinous coast color contains Cope Cretaceous Crocodilia crows Crustacea described Devonian dorsal ectoderm eggs embryo Eocene epiblast existence eyes fact fauna feet fishes force fossil genera genus Geol geological gives head hornblende hypoblast inches Indian insects intercentrum interesting island Lake larvae lateral layer lower mass mesoblastic miles mineral Miocene motion mountain Museum Naturalist nature nearly nest North observed occur organs origin ovum Palaeophonus paper Permian plane plants plates portion premolar present probably Professor recent region river rocks roost Science seems seen segments side Silurian Society species specimens spider structure surface taenidia tion tracheae trees upper ventral vertebrates wings yolk young
29. oldal - If we forget for an instant, that each species tends to increase inordinately, and that some check is always in action, yet seldom perceived by us, the whole economy of nature will be utterly obscured.
33. oldal - ... notice, that owing to the wave having obliterated the old lines of tidal action on the sloping sandy shores, I could discover no evidence of this fact, except in the united testimony of the inhabitants, that one little rocky shoal, now exposed, was formerly covered with water. At the island of S. Maria (about thirty miles distant) the elevation was greater; on one part, Captain Fitz Roy found beds of putrid mussel-shells still adhering to the rocks, ten feet above high-water mark: the inhabitants...
569. oldal - To this subdivision would then be brought the researches into the brain and nerves that deal with mental function ; the experiments on the senses having reference to our sensations ; the whole of the present mathematics of man, bodily and mental ; the still more advanced inquiries relating to our intelligence; and the nature of emotion, as illustrated by expression, in the manner of Darwin's famous treatise.
302. oldal - Mercuric chloride, 1 : 1000 ; recommended only for the hands, or for washing away infectious material from a limited area, not as a bath for the entire surface of the body. For the Dead.
424. oldal - Afar, on yonder faint blue mound In the horizon's utmost bound, At the first stride his foot he set ; The jarring world confessed the shock. Stranger ! the track of Thunder yet Remains upon the living rock.
190. oldal - Once, while I watched a Damara floundering hopelessly in a calculation on one side of me, I observed Dinah, my spaniel, equally embarrassed on the other. She was overlooking half a dozen of her new-born puppies, which had been removed two or three times from her, and her anxiety was excessive, as she tried to find out if they were all present, or if any were still missing. She kept puzzling and running her eyes over them backwards and forwards, but could not satisfy herself. She evidently had a vague...
970. oldal - An enumeration of all the plants known from China proper, Formosa, Hainan, Corea, the Luchu Archipelago, and the Island of Hongkong, together with their distribution and synonymy.
302. oldal - F.) for two hours. 2. Fumigation with sulphurous acid gas for at least twelve hours, the clothing being freely exposed, and the gas present in the disinfection chamber in the proportion of four volumes per cent. (c) Mattresses and blankets soiled by the discharges of the sick : — 1. Destruction by fire. 2. Exposure to superheated steam (25 Ibs.
693. oldal - ... and the ground is covered for many feet in depth by their dung, which, by its gradual fermentation, must also tend to increase the warmth of the roost. Such roosts are known to be thus occupied for years, beyond the memory of individuals; and I know of one or two which the oldest residents in the quarter state to have been known to their grandfathers, and probably had been resorted to by the crows during several ages previous.