Twenty miles west of downtown Cleveland, in the northeast corner of Lorain County, Avon Lake hugs five miles of Lake Erie shoreline. Once part of a land called Xeuma by the Erie Indians and later part of Tract Seven of the Western Reserve, the area was difficult
to tame, but forests became ships and swamps turned into fields. By 1900, the fields were mostly orchards and vineyards. The arrival of the Lake Shore Electric Railway turned the scattered rural township into a summertime resort destination, thus igniting a real estate boom. By World War II , the LSE was no more, but plentiful, affordable, and
locally produced electricity and water made Avon Lake a good place to make a living and a desirable place to reside. Fruehauf and B.F. Goodrich arrived and stayed, followed by more industry, commerce, suburban settlers, and commuters. Avon Lake became a city in 1960, and today 24,000 residents call it home.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
AERIAL VIEW Aqua Marine Lodge arzen Avon Lake Engineering AVON LAKE HIGH Avon Lake Historical Avon Lake Parks Avon Lake Public Avon Lake School Avon Township B.F. Goodrich Barbara Klingshirn Barney Klement Beach Park became building built Burmeister Center Road Charles Beard City of Avon Cleveland Courtesy of Avon Courtesy of Barbara Courtesy of Barney courtesy of CSU Courtesy of Debra Courtesy of Genon Courtesy of Gerry Courtesy of Nancy Courtesy of Thomas Curtis Duff Debra Beard Electric Boulevard Fred Bottomer Frielingsdorf Gerry Paine Harvey Miller Heider Horwedel Lake Engineering Department Lake Erie Lake Historical Society Lake Police Department Lake Public Library Lake Road Lake’s later Lear Road left to right located Lorain County Miller Road Park Moore Road Nancy Abram oseph Paul Beck Peter Miller House Photograph by Fred Pictured purchased SESQUICENTENNIAL Sparkle Market Thomas Patton Troy Township village Walker Road winery