Basic Elements of Narrative
outlines a way of thinking about what narrative is and how to identify its basic elements across various media, introducing key concepts developed by previous theorists and contributing original ideas to the growing body of scholarship on stories.
- Includes an overview of recent developments in narrative scholarship
- Provides an accessible introduction to key concepts in the field
- Views narrative as a cognitive structure, type of text, and resource for interpersonal communication
- Uses examples from literature, face to face interaction, graphic novels, and film to explore the core features of narrative
- Includes a glossary of key terms, full bibliography, and comprehensive index
- Appropriate for multiple audiences, including students, non-specialists, and experts in the field