Drawing Essentials: A Guide to Drawing from Observation
Ideal for introductory studio art courses in drawing, Drawing Essentials: A Guide to Drawing from Observation, Second Edition, explains clearly and in depth the essentials of depicting form and space on a two-dimensional surface, focusing on the cultivation of observational skills, increased sensitivity, critical thinking, technical refinement, and knowledge of materials.
* Written by an award-winning artist with thirty years of teaching experience
* Presents clear, direct explanations of drawing fundamentals including: the process of sighting; scaling techniques; creating meaningful line variation; methods for tonal development; creating effective still lifes; understanding the human figure, portraiture, and anatomy; color theory and application; perspective systems; using photos as references; and brainstorming to generate ideas
* Provides helpful pointers on both group and individual critiques
* Offers practical advice about traditional and nontraditional media and surfaces as well as alternative processes that can be combined with drawing
* Includes a comprehensive appendix featuring more than eighty illustrations by twenty-one contemporary artists, a bibliography, and a list of supplementary readings
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* A Glossary of Art Terms
* Contains 127 new illustrations, seventy-four of which are in color
* Includes a new chapter on color theory and the use of color media in drawing (Chapter 5)
* Splits the perspective chapter into two distinct chapters, offering step-by-step coverage at both the beginning and more advanced levels (Chapters 2 and 3)
* Includes a new section on straight-line construction and planar construction (Chapter 1)
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.