Indiana County was little more than a collection of forests and sparse settlements when it was formed in 1803. At the center of the county lay the area that was to become the city of Indiana, a community built on land donated by George Clymer, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Over the next one hundred fifty years, the county embraced the growth of numerous settlements, farms, logging operations, small businesses, and a booming coal industry that fueled the railroads of western Pennsylvania. With scenes of rolling hills and railroads, mining towns and main streets, from Rossiter to Saltsburg, Indiana County celebrates the region's bicentennial through nearly two hundred vintage postcards from the first half of the twentieth century.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Blairsville Area
The Homer City Area
The Clymer Area
The Marion Center Area
The Heilwood Area
Adrian Iselin Arcadia Armagh became a borough Bituminous Coal Corporation Blairsville Buffalo built campus Cherry Tree Cherryhill Township Clearfield Bituminous Coal Clymer Brick Coal and Iron Coke company store Conemaugh River constructed courthouse Creekside Dixonville Ernest Fire Clay Company G.C. Murphy Glass Company Glen Campbell Heilwood high school Homer City Hotel housed Incubator Factory Indiana County Indiana State Normal Indiana State Teachers Indiana Theater Iron Company Iselin Jimmy Stewart John Sutton Hall July largest Leonard Hall located Lucerne Main Street Marion Center mill mines named National Bank Normal School Park Penn Run Penn-Mary Coal Company Pennsylvania Railroad Philadelphia Street photograph pictured Pittsburgh Coal Pittsburgh Railroad population post office opened postcard postmaster Prairie State Incubator Presbyterian Church president public school purchased Rayne Township Rochester and Pittsburgh Route Saltsburg School Building served Sixth Street station town in Indiana Township turnpike two-story West Wheatfield Township Wilson Hall York Central Railroad