Kazakhstan: Nomadic Routes from Caspian to Altai
A country larger than Western Europe, Kazakhstan's vast expanse encompasses the Great Steppe, across which Genghis Khan's Mongol hordes galloped; the heights of the Tien Shan in the south, through whose foothills Silk Road travelers journeyed; the exquisite lakes and valleys of the Altai mountains in the northeast, and in the far west the archeologically rich desert coast of the Caspian Sea. With independence and the discovery of oil has come huge change, yet Kazakhstan remained one of the least known of Asian countries until the "Borat" movie took the world by storm in 2006. Now, this land of rich history, welcoming people and whirling bazaars shares its wonders with a curious world.
- First dedicated English language guide to Kazakhstan--a huge and diverse country
- The "Borat" phenomenon and its double-edged effect
- Baikonur, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane and the Silk Road
- The future of Kazakhstan's energy resources
- Investment potential for businessmen
- Kazakhstan's archeological wealth
- Architecture from Astana to Almaty to Aktau
- Holidays by the Caspian Sea
- Superb photography from the grandeur of the Tien Shan and Altai mountains across the Great Steppe to the Caspian Sea
- 126 color photos and 9 maps & plans
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Abai Ablai Khan Ahove Air Astana Aktau Aktobe Alatau Almaty Almaty's Altai animals Aral Asian Atyrau Auezov Baikonur bank Batyr beautiful border building built camp canyon Caspian Central Asia centre Century China city's cultural desert Dostyk e-mail east glaciers golden horse Hotel huge hunting Irtysh Issyk Jeremy Tredinnick Karaganda Kazakh Kazakhstan Khan Tengri kilometres Kyrgyzstan Kyzylorda Lake Balkhash land landscape located Mangyshlak Peninsula mausoleum metres Mikrorayon monument mosque mountain Museum Nature Reserve Nazarbayev nomadic Oskemen Otrar park Pavlodar peaks population reach region restaurants River rock rooms Russian saiga Schreiher Semey shore Shymkent Silk Road Soviet species station steppe stone Street summer surrounding Syr Darya Talgar Taraz tenge territory Tien Shan tourists tours town traditional travel agencies tribes trip valley village western winter Yasawi yurt Zhungar