What people are saying - Write a review
Dr. Radley• I found this book on Google books and chose it for two reasons. First, it is a facsimile of the very first edition of Shakespeare’s sonnets. Second, it provides an in-depth commentary on the sonnets.
• The author’s interpretation of the major theme of the sonnets is that Shakespeare is recollecting fond memories of a beautiful youth, while also remembering with great disdain a wrathful mistress.
• The author of the commentary, Sidney Lee, is considered Sir Sidney Lee in many texts. He has written several other publications, including the “Dictionary of National Biography”, and “A Life of William Shakespeare”.
• This book does not contain a bibliography.
• This book does not have a book review.
• This book assumes a substantial knowledge of the field. It provides general characteristics of the sonnets, but even goes further with it to describe its relation to the early plays. It also goes into the history of the publication of the first edition of the sonnets. And finally, it provides analytical commentary on the sonnets, interpreting what they mean and whom they are addressing.
• The book provides a broad overview, giving detailed analysis of the sonnets.
• This book does not include a publication date, but mentions that it is a facsimile of the 1609 version of the sonnets.
• Lee, Sidney. Shakespeare's Sonnets: A Reproduction in Facsimile of the First Edition. Oxford: Claredon. Print.