Book Stack and Shelving for Libraries

Front Cover
Snead & Company Iron Works, 1908 - Library fittings and supplies - 160 pages
0 Reviews

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 72 - The architects who furnished the original designs were John L. Smithmeyer and Paul J. Pelz. By the act of October 2, 1888, before the foundations were laid, Thomas L. Casey, Chief of Engineers of the Army, was placed in charge of the construction of the building, and the architectural details were worked out by Paul J. Pelz and Edward P. Casey. Upon the death of General Casey, in March, 1896, the entire charge of the construction devolved upon Bernard R.
Page 72 - substantially according to the plans submitted to the Joint Select Committee on Additional Accommodations for the Library of Congress by John L. Smithmeyer, in the Italian renaissance style of architecture, with such modifications as may be found necessary or advantageous without materially increasing the cost of the building...
Page 73 - Division (5 persons) handles all materials arriving at or dispatched from the library building, including all mail matter and all books delivered for outside use. The yearly mail received exceeds 225,000 items, including articles received for copyright, but not including newspapers and periodicals.
Page 73 - The cellar space is devoted to the machinery room, heating apparatus, workshops and storage. The boilers and coal vaults are located under the parking, near but quite outside the building at the east front.
Page 85 - ... marble. Each stack tier is divided into four quadrants designated as Northwest, Northeast. Southwest and Southeast. Each section consists of twenty-nine double-faced ranges, composed of ten compartments with six adjustable and one fixed shelf in each compartment. Along the walls are compartments 24, 26 and 30 inches deep, fitted with sliding shelves. In all the main stack contains 96,000 adjustable and 16,000 fixed shelves, which placed end to end would extend a distance of 63.3 miles. The capacity...
Page 85 - The main bookstack occupies the larger part of the rear of the building and extends upward through the basement, first and second stories. It is 297 feet long, 78 feet wide, and is made up of seven tiers, each 7 feet 6 inches high, with deck floors of 1| inch marble.
Page 84 - May 1806 the legislature passed a law authorizing the removal of the reservoir and the lease of the land to the library. On 19 May 1897, another act was passed providing for the construction by the city of a library building on...
Page 69 - Nations system, the use of contractual funds to procure bibliographic and other services from other libraries (notably the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library...
Page 72 - ... building was under the direction of a commission until October, 1888, when, before the foundations were laid, the commission was abolished by Congress and the work placed under the control of General Thomas L. Casey, the Chief of Engineers of the Army, with directions to submit a plan for approval.
Page 73 - A three tier stack has also been installed in the north curtain, second floor, for manuscripts and documents, the total capacity being 250,000 volumes. The westerly stacks in the first tier are enclosed with plate glass for greater security.

Bibliographic information