The Automation of Reasoning: An Experimenter's Notebook with OTTER Tutorial
Academic Press, 1996 - Computers - 434 pages
This landmark title is the only one of its kind to offer research problems in the field along with guidance in using and implementing what has been called the most powerful general-purpose program for automated reasoning available: Bill McCune's OTTER. The remarkable automated reasoning program is included (on diskette) with the text to allow hands-on understanding of the author's imparted knowledge. Also included within the text are detailed guidelines for using the program, which can be of great assistance in deductive reasoning. The text covers, in depth, how research is actually conducted using an automated reasoning program and based on the author's thirty years of work in the field, and also offers new results in mathematics and in logic that have never before appeared in print.
* Includes floppy disk with input files, a user's guide, and the latest version of OTTER software for automated reasoning: conduct your own automated reasoning experiments immediately!
* Features a new strategy, called the resonance strategy, that enables a reasoning program to use steps of one proof to guide its attempt to complete a second proof, often with outstanding success
* Presents material in the form of an experimenter's notebook, with substantial commentary about choices for using an automated reasoning program effectively
* Describes a methodology for finding elegant, shorter proofs-important in applications such as circuit design
* Introduces the hot list strategy which, by focusing on selected information, dramatically enhances the ability of a reasoning program to draw vital conclusions quickly
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
OTTER the Diskette and EMail Communication
The Methodology by Example
12 other sections not shown
37 hyper 39-step proof 44 hyper 65 hyper 72 hyper ancestor subsumption ANSWER(step_35 ANSWER(step_49 ANSWER(step_allBEH_Church_FL_18_35_49 assigned automated reasoning program axiom system consisting back subsumption Chapter chosen Church axiom system cited Complete proofs condensed detachment conjecture context corresponding CPU-hours CPU-seconds deduced conclusion demod demodulation diskette EMPTY CLAUSE end of proof end_of_list example experimenter's notebook focus of attention focusing formulas Frege given group theory heat=l Hilbert axiom system hyper,1 hyperresolution idempotent included inference rule input file lemmas length of proof Level of proof level saturation list(passive list(sos list(usable Lukasiewicz axiom system malloced max_weight McCune's offered output file paramodulation proof by contradiction proof checking proof length proof steps proved purge ratio strategy recursive tail strategy Research Problem resonance strategy retained clauses retained conclusions Robbins algebra Section seeking shorter proofs single axiom subsumed subtautology strategy symbol count term theorem thesis 35 two-valued sentential calculus UNIT CONFLICT weight templates weight_list(pick_and_purge weightjist