What people are saying - Write a review
Since lots of beginner level cocos2d-x books in english has been published till now.
Here are Some pros and cons of this one which I feel as compared to other books:**PROS: (Features exlusive to this book and it not present in other cocos2d-x (english) book)
1) JNI discussed, knowledge on which is very useful if you're using cocos2d-x because almost all 3rd party plugins are integrated using this. And no other book has included this topic. Also this books includes admob banner integration using JNI. And ad integration, even though this inlcudes basic integration but no other book has even talked about it because revenue source is obviously important thing for any game publisher.
2) Adding minor label effects which other books didn't touch.
3) Android back button
4) Keeping screen alive while using accelerometer
5) New audio engine discussed which again no other book has touched. Although, I still like the old audio system as it gives more flexibility. But this new audio engine is still under production phase, so it will grow better.
1) Reason for not using box2D mentioned that it is no longer active development.
But I feel that its last version is still the one which can produce better physics simulation as compared to other physics engine and is stilly widely used for professional games.
It used cocos2d-x inbuilt physics engine - not very good but not bad. Atleast one game 'external' physics engine should have been discussed as in other book.
2) Although we can simulate physics by using simple shapes like circle/rectangle but I wish that some book would have touched a custom physics body creation. But like other books, this one also lacks it. And it is good if you know how to make custom physics shape for complex looking objects.
*3)* Since, this book was purely for android development, I wish author would have discussed his tips regarding precautions while deploying the game for different android versions(especially Android 5.x where some issues come on running the game)
*4)* I felt that, multi resolution technique discussed was limited and no tips on graphic part was given even related to game covered and it being an android based book, author should have included it in detail as android devices are the most diverse in resolution sizes. This would have helped to set this book differernt from other cocos2d-x book.
(Note: Cocos2d-x by example :beginner's guide is better for learning multi resolution, although it is just for iOS, because it has used these techniques in every game it has covered although explanation is not much detailed)
5) Somewhere I felt that author could have added more information like in fonts regarding bitmap fonts which is just mentioned in a paragraph but didn't covered using code.
I would recommend this book to beginners only because of some points in PROS section which is actually exclusive to this cocos2d-x book only otherwise no new content is added and the game covered is simple..
Since, it is being published after 5-6 cocos2d-x(v3.x) books (in english), I expected a lot more things (or better to say different things than other books) from this book other than just JNI for which I thank the author...