Herpetology: An Introductory Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles
Herpetology, Second Edition has been thoroughly revised. The text has been reorganized, new chapters have been added, new text references have been inserted. All this plus new color systematics sections will maintain this book as THE leading textbook on the biology of amphibians and reptiles. The book will also showcase reptiles and amphibians as model systems in conceptual areas of biology. Such a text will help integrate herpetology as a discipline into conceptually oriented undergraduate programs. The book should also appeal to a large audience of sophisticated lay people interested in reptiles and amphibians.
* Written by internationally recognized experts on the biology of amphibians and reptiles
* Provides a general background on the evolution and morphology of amphibians and reptiles
* Details what is known about reproduction and life histories
* Examines physiological ecology, emphasizing water balance, temperature, and energy
* Integrates population and community ecology with conservation biology
* Provides detailed taxonomic accounts of all higher taxa, including high quality distribution maps and color photographs
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Adapted adult SVL America amphibians amphibians and reptiles animals Anolis anurans appear aquatic areas behavior Biology body temperatures breeding caecilians Caldwell cavity cells Characteristics clade cloaca clutch colubrids Cretaceous crocodylians density deposit Diapsida Distribution diversity dorsal Duellman Ecology eggs elapids embryos environment evolution extant extinct feeding females FIGURE foraging forest fossil frogs fused genera gills glands habitats hatch home range individuals juveniles L. J. Vitt larvae lepidosaurs Leptodactylidae limbs Lissamphibia lizards lung males mating metabolic microhabitats morphology Neobatrachia nest occur offspring organs oviducts oviparous paired parietal patterns pectoral girdle phalanges phylogenetic Pianka plethodontids ponds population predators presacral prey produce Rana relationships reproductive reptiles salamanders Sauria season seaturtles sexual sister group Sister taxon Sister taxon Uncertain skin skull snakes species sperm squamates structure surface tadpoles tail taxa teeth terrestrial tetrapods tion tropical Trueb turtles ventral vertebrae vertebral column viperids viviparous Zool