Plano: An Historic Walking Tour
The history of Plano, Texas is as rich as the soil that attracted early settlers to the area in the mid to late 1800s. Vividly portrayed here in over 200 images, author Nancy McCulloch recreates for the reader the remarkable history of this forward-thinking town. A large number of residents from Kentucky and Tennessee were attracted to the rich black soil and farming prospects of this part of Peters Colony. Sam Houston, as a former governor of Tennessee, enticed families from these states to travel to the Plano area and seek out a new and better way of life. From 1870 to 1886, PlanoA[aČa[s population expanded tenfold. As early as the late 1800s the community developed a reputation for progressive thinking and beautiful homes.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Out and Around the City
Homes and Buildings of the Past
Other editions - View all
16th Street Adam Towber Add-Ran College Aldridge Allen Ammie Apple Arch Hughston Avenue G Beaty became Boggess built this house Carlisle CARPENTER HOUSE Central Expressway Collin County cotton Courtesy Daffron Dallas DAVIS THOMPSON door Dorothy downtown Plano early Plano Ed Allen Elizabeth family lived farm Farmers Gin Company father Forman Frances Wells Collection Frank Harrington Fred Schimelpfenig front porch front yard Gladys Harrington Library Granny Smoot Haynes house was built house was located Interurban Station JANELLE VONTRESS JERRY HAYNES LEFT TO RIGHT located on present-day married MARY SUE THOMPSON Mattie MITCHELL HOUSE moved Muegge Nannie Kate OLNEY DAVIS original house originally located Park Boulevard PAULINE DAVIS Peggy Mitchell Photography by Adam picture Plano School purchased the house remodeled renovation Robert SAIGLING Schell served SHEPARD SHEPARD HOUSE Sigler STANLEY STEAMER Street and Avenue Texas Christian University Tough Tamales W.J. CARPENTER WETSEL WFAA-TV wife WILDCAT William WYATT