In 1837, Henry Janes, one of the area's first settlers, proposed the name "Black Hawk" for the small southern Wisconsin settlement he lived in, but the US Post Office chose Janesville. The village along the Rock River was selected as the Rock County seat, and by 1860 it had grown to become Wisconsin's second largest city. Janesville developed into an important railroad town and, because of its waterpower, a milling and manufacturing center. General Motors built a large plant, and George Parker started the Parker Pen Company here. As the city grew, land was donated or set aside for recreation, and today Janesville calls itself Wisconsin's Park Place. Its population has grown to more than 62,000.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Academy Street advertised anesville Daily Gazette anesville Floral Company anesville High School anesville’s Armory Bataan Death March brick built Carr’s Chicago & North church Circus city’s Company bought company’s congregation construction Corn Exchange corner of Main Court Street Delavan Drive donated downtown effris employees engine factory fire floor front George Follmer Gothic Revival grocery store horse-drawn Hotel included Iron Brigade Jackman Block Jefferson Park Kent Block later located Main and Milwaukee manufacturing Meat Market mill Milton Avenue Milwaukee Road Milwaukee Street bridge Motors moved Myers House North Main North Western occupied operated Palmer Park parade Parker Pen Company Patrick’s Peter Myers photograph shows plant pose post office Racine railroad RCHS remodeled replaced Rock County Courthouse Rock County Historical Rock River Roesling S.S. Kresge South ackson Street South Main Street South River Street southwest corner station Tallman truck visible wagons West Milwaukee Street Wisconsin Carriage Company workers