Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians
Dennis M. McCurnin, Joanna M. Bassert
, 2006 - Medical
- 1241 pages
Now in full-color! Written by veterinarians, including many board-certified specialists, and veterinary technicians, this comprehensive textbook is divided into six major sections covering nearly all the major content areas in the veterinary technology curriculum. The text contains helpful learning features, including introductions, boxed technician tips, and suggested readings - all written at a level appropriate for technicians.
- Comprehensive text covering all areas of the curriculum.
- Written specifically for technicians.
- Presents detailed information on the role of the technician in every aspect of veterinary practice.
- Features helpful pedagogical aids such as introductions, suggested readings, and boxed Technician Tips.
- CD in the back of the book contains student exercises, including crossword puzzles to help study key terms, picture-it exercises to test knowledge of key illustrations, quiz shows and hangman exercises to make self-study fun, and WebLinks.
- Three new chapters! Care of Geriatric Small Animal Patients, Toxicology, and Nursing Concepts in Alternative Medicine.
- Diagnostic imaging chapter includes new sections on digital radiography, computed radiography, teleradiology, PACS (picture archival computing systems), and RIS (radiology information systems).
- Emergency nursing chapter has been completely rewritten to address rapid changes in clinical knowledge in the field.
- Behavior chapter has been completely rewritten to emphasize prevention of problems and the creation of wellness programs, and to focus on behavioral needs, assessment, and client teaching.
- Birds, Reptiles, and Small Mammals chapter has a new section on behavioral considerations and includes information on feeding, diets, and care of increasingly popular pets: rats, prairie dogs, sugar gliders, and hedgehogs.
- Pain management chapter includes new information of transdermal administration of Fentanyl and epidural administration of opioids. New drugs include hydromorphone, oxymorphone, deracoxib, and meloxicam.
- Pharmacology and pharmacy chapter includes new sections on ivermectin toxicities, expiration dates and disposal of drugs, material data safety sheets, compounding, nutraceuticals, and internet pharmacy and concern about online sites.
- Zoonoses and public health chapter includes up-to-date information on Q fever (coxiellosis), tularemia, and monkey pox.