Scenic, busy, friendly--Clifton Forge has greeted visitors with this motto for over 60 years. It was originally named Williamson after the founding family who settled here as pioneers in the early 1800s. For a time, it was the center of the iron ore industry in Virginia. By 1857, the railroad had found its way here, and when the village became a town in 1884, it adopted the name Clifton Forge from a nearby iron furnace. It was a strategic location on the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, which developed a large railroad yard and locomotive and repair shops. It was a classic railroad boomtown and was a thriving community until the shops closed in the late 1980s. Today, Clifton Forge remains a strong community of proud citizens and is undergoing renewal and revitalization that focuses on its rich natural beauty and railroad and architectural heritage.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Journey Continues
Other editions - View all
active added Alleghany Anderson Arts attendance Avenue background Bank beautiful became bridge building built C&O Hospital C&O Railway Center CFPL Church citizens Clifton Forge Clifton Forge High Club coal COHS Company completed continued corner Courtesy Crafts diesel Division early east established facility fire freight front George Gladys hall Hill Historical Hotel hump yard Iron Jackson James Jean Jefferson John later left to right located locomotive looking lovely Main Street Manner Masonic Moody Mountain moved named needed opened operated organized original Park passenger photograph pictured railroad repair Ridgeway Street River Robert seen served shown shows side Slusser Smith Snead standing station steam structure taken Theater third tower town tracks trains unidentified Virginia Woods yard YMCA