The Intrepid Art Collector: The Beginner's Guide to Finding, Buying, and Appreciating Art on a Budget
Ready to upgrade your artwork from framed Monet posters but intimidated by what you see in galleries?
In The Intrepid Art Collector, Lisa Hunter shows you how to start a fine art collection without spending a fortune. This accessible, jargon-free resource contains up-to-date information on the most popular original art—everything from photography and posters to African art and animation—including where to find it and how to buy it at a fair price. Easy-to-use checklists help you evaluate original art and steer clear of clever fakes. In addition, Hunter has interviewed top dealers, curators, arts lawyers, and appraisers to bring you the best advice on:
• Advantages to buying real art instead of reproductions
• Determining if a piece of art is fairly priced
• Predicting if an artist’s work will go up in value
• Techniques for negotiating a price with a dealer
• Developing your artistic taste, so you’ll know if you’ll still love your purchase ten years down the road
• How to preserve art in your home
• Resources, websites, and magazines that will help you learn more about the market and where to find different types of art
What people are saying - Write a review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - AlexEpstein - LibraryThing
I love art but I've always felt nervous buying art. How do you know if you're getting the real thing? How do you know if you're overpaying? What's that rug really worth? Why is a photograph worth so ... Read full review
Other editions - View all
The Intrepid Art Collector: The Beginner's Guide to Finding, Buying, and ...
Limited preview - 2010