What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
History of Piscataquis County, Maine: From Its Earliest Settlement to 1880
No preview available - 2015
Abbot acres afterward Atkinson Bangor Baptist became Blanchard bridge brother brought Brownville Brownville village building built Capt Chamberlain Chase clapboard commenced Congregational church crop death died Dover village early settlers Elder Eli Towne erected fall farm felled fire Forbes Foxcroft Greenville grist-mill Guilford Guilford village held incorporated increased Isaac John labors March Mark Trafton meeting-house miles mill privileges Milo minister Monson Moosehead Lake Moses moved his family Norridgewock Number occupied opened Parkman passed pastor Penobscot Penobscot County Piscataquis County Piscataquis River plantation Pleasant River Pond preaching proprietors purchased raised resided road Robinson Samuel Samuel Chamberlain Sangerville saw-mill season settled settlement shingle slate snow sold soon Spaulding spring started Stream summer timber tion took town meeting township trees Vaughan voted wife wild land William Williamsburg Wilson Stream winter
Page 303 - This book is a preservation photocopy. It was produced on Hammermill Laser Print natural white, a 60 # book weight acid-free archival paper which meets the requirements of ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992 (permanence of paper) Preservation photocopying and binding by Acme Bookbinding Charlestown, Massachusetts CD 1995 The borrower must return this item on or before the last date stamped below.
Page 303 - This book is a preservation photocopy. It is made in compliance with copyright law and produced on acid-free archival 60# book weight paper which meets the requirements of ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992 (permanence of paper) Preservation photocopying and binding by Acme Bookbinding Charlestown, Massachusetts m 1999 The borrower must return this item on or before the last date stamped below.
Page 3 - The hills are dearest which our childish feet Have climbed the earliest ; and the streams most sweet Are ever those at which our young lips drank, Stooped to their waters o'er the grassy bank.
Page 27 - The act provided that the trustees " shall cause to be settled fifteen families in each of said townships within twelve years from the passing this resolve ; and also that there be reserved in each township three lots of three hundred and twenty acres each for the following uses, viz., one lot for the first settled minister, one lot for the use of the ministry, and one lot for the use of schools in each of said townships.
Page 231 - October 7th, after a still, smoky day, a violent gale arose from the north and north-west, fanningthese smouldering fires into a furious and rushing blaze. In the woodlands the flames rolled on in solid column, while the wind scattered the sparks and blazing fragments like chaff, lighting up stumps, fences, and often the dry stubble. Everybody was awake. Men and boys were hurried to the earlier points of danger, but were soon summoned back to fight the fire from their own threatened dwellings. Wooden...
Page 110 - ... 1853, Col. Foxcroft says: "We crossed the river a little above the falls. This was a pleasant spot, many names marked upon trees, but all a wilderness, no sign that anyone ever intended to dwell there. We went down the river to the southeast corner of the township, and near it, upon the intervale, we found an opening occupied by Abel Blood and, I think, a hired man with him, but there was no family. They had corn growing, and garden roots. I well remember the large turnips and beets which they...
Page 297 - Life is real, life is earnest, And the grave is not its goal ; "Dust thou art, to dust returncst,
Page 211 - But limited portions of its soil arc good for agriculture ; other portions had a fair amount of pine and spruce timber; and other large portions are waste and useless. GRANTS AND PROPRIETORS. A strip on the west side, nearly a mile wide, was included in the grant to the Massachusetts Medical Society, to equal the 3000 acres in Number Nine of that township, sold to William C.
Page 110 - Tn 1802, Col. Foxcroft offered forty-six rights of two hundred acres each, for sale, to be assigned by lot ; and several were soon bought. These purchasers met in New Gloucester, legally organized as proprietors, and took measures to secure settlers. Some .of the first individuals and families to take up lots in Foxcroft located on the hilly portions of the town in the region of what is now known as the Centre. For several years...
Page 176 - ... eddies, existing through the whole length of the streams, and could remember their locations. When dams were built across these rivers, a broad, sloping platform was attached to the lower side of the dam, called a slip, upon which the rushing water would glide the raft over, if it entered favorably. To run these sluices was a pleasant excitement to the raftsmen, and a fine entertainment to spectators.