West Linn

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2009 - History - 127 pages
0 Reviews
The largest iron meteorite discovered in the United States, weighing 15.5 tons, was unearthed in West Linn in 1902 and featured in the 1905 World's Fair before journeying to New York's American Museum of Natural History, where it remains. West Linn was carved onto the map years before, when Robert Moore purchased 1,000 acres of land in 1840 from the Wallamut Indians at Willamette Falls. Soon a lumber mill and flour mill were established, and the region was given a new name--Linn City--after free-state advocate Lewis F. Linn. Hugh Burns and the Miller, Fields, and Walling families also figured in early West Linn history. Though an 1861 fire, then flood, destroyed what was Linn City, the falls continued drawing industry. Officially incorporated into Oregon in 1913, West Linn, known for its hills, trees, rivers, and famous meteorite, is a sought-after community in which to raise families and made the 2005 top-100 list of best places to live.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
Introduction
7
In the Beginning Whats in a Name
9
On the International Map The Willamette Meteorite
15
Rivers Run around Us The Willamette Falls and Industry
21
Its Who You Know Some Famous Residents with West Linn Ties
35
Government Services City Hall Police Fire and Library
45
The Three Rs History of Education in West Linn
57
The Places Youll Go Neighborhoods People Parks and Businesses
81
Culture Service Organizations and Celebrations
105
Bibliography
126
Selected Index
127
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2009)

Since moving to West Linn in 1989, Cornelia Becker Seigneur has been writing about the area in The Oregonian and West Linn Tidings newspapers. Thanks to many individuals, as well as the Clackamas County Historical Society, Clackamas Heritage Partners, and Oregon Historical Society, Seigneur shares this permanent history of West Linn.

Bibliographic information