What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Acton Albert Alfred American Amory Maynard Arthur Assabet Balcom Batley Boston brick bridge Brooks Brown building built called carried Charles Charles H Chase Church citizens Co-operative Committee Concord corner Daniel daughters deed died district early Edward erected farm fire Fowler Frank Fred George H given Gutteridge Hall Haynes held Henry Herbert hill honor Howard Hudson hundred Indians James John Joseph King known land later lived Lorenzo Main Street March married Mary Maynard meeting Michael mill Miss named Nason Street occupied opened original Parker Parmenter Persons Pond present Puffer purchased Ralph received recorded Reed reside river Road Robert School settlers side Smith Society sons soon Stow Sudbury Sullivan Summer Street Sunday taken Taylor Thomas town village voted White Whitney wife William H
Page 104 - ... the other. He that dies in an earnest pursuit is like one that is wounded in hot blood, who for the time scarce feels the hurt' and therefore, a mind fixed and bent upon somewhat that is good, doth avert the dolours of death. But above all, believe it, the sweetest canticle is Nunc dimittis, when a man hath obtained worthy ends and expectations.
Page 107 - The Legislature of Massachusetts consecrate the names of Major John Buttrick and Capt. Isaac Davis, whose valour and example excited their fellow-citizens to a successful resistance of a superior number of British troops at Concord Bridge, the 1.g of April, 1775, which was the beginning of a contest in arms that ended in American independence.
Page 113 - We no prosper if we go to Concord — the Great Spirit love that people — the evil spirit tell us not to go — they have a great man there — he great pray.
Page 28 - Elsibeth" River. Land was also bought at this time from Thomas H. and Silas P. Brooks, and of Haman, George and Benjamin Smith, continuing his purchases, until he controlled all the available water power, water rights and mill sites in this vicinity. In July 1846, no less than thirty-four deeds are recorded covering his purchases— a map of November 1846 shows that he owned one hundred and nine acres in the heart of the village. Within a few years he enlarged his possessions in order to control...
Page 26 - Vt., when General Burgoyne surrendered. In 1846 the village began to assume new life, when the water power which had been used by a small mill only, was purchased by Amory Maynard and William H. Knight of Saxonville, the owner of a carpet factory there, which had just been burned. Mr. Maynard had been deprived of his water power — Fort Meadow Pond in Marlboro — by the City of Boston, and was seeking a CALVIN WHITNEY PLACE WM.
Page 32 - New machinery was installed and the manufacture of carpets dropped, blankets, flannels and cloth being substituted. The Civil War was then in progress and large Government orders were executed. The business continued successful, several large buildings were added from time to time; streets were laid out and tenements for the employees erected. Mr. Maynard continued as agent until failing health necessitated relinquishing the position to his son Lorenzo with his grandson William H. Maynard as Superintendent....
Page 24 - red house" stood until 190x3 on the "Island" between the river and the old raceway. About 1820 a paper mill was built at the corner of Summer and Parker Streets, using the water privilege at that point. The mill was built by William May, later passing into the hands of William Parker, then to his son, William T. Parker, who ran it until August i, 1882.
Page 30 - ... had worked, having left school at the age of fourteen, also helping on the farm. When he was sixteen years, his father died and he took charge of the business, carrying it on successfully, taking on building and contracting until at one time he had sixty men in his employ. In this way he came in contact with Mr.
Page 34 - Mill was built over the pond, 500 feet long, a large storehouse erected and a steam turbine engine installed. In 1886 was erected the red brick chimney 207 feet high, and in 1916 another one of hollow brick 200 feet high was built. There are now about 6900 HP Steam, with electrical transmission to all parts of the plant, also 200 HP Water.
Page 32 - Meadowreservoircontaining three hundred acres and he had previously, in 1846, obtained entire control of Boone's Pond, containing two hundred .acres by his land purchases and flowage rights, adding materially to their valuation. In 1862 the mills were reorganized as a corporation, with the name Assabet...