Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Volume 1
The Society, 1853 - Archaeology
Index of archaeological papers published in 1891, under the direction of the Congress of Archaeological Societies in union with the Society of Antiquaries.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
Abbey alluded amongst antiquaries antiquity appears arms Bannow barony Bishop bones Book Butler called Castle Castlecomer century chamber chief church coin Cork County of Kilkenny Cromleac curious Diarmuid discovered district Dublin Duke earl of Ormond English erected escutcheon evidently existence Fenians Freshford gold Henry hill Holy Cross Holy Cross Abbey inches inhabitants inscription interesting Ireland Irish language James Graves Jerpoint Abbey John Kilkenny Archaeological Society Kilkenny Castle Kilkenny College King lady land letters locality Lord Meeting monument mountain Nenagh O'Donovan Ogham original Ossian Ossory parish Patrick peasantry period person portion possession present preserved probably Purcell Queen's County Rath records remains remarkable Richard rings Royal says seal sedilia sepulchral side Sliabh-na-m-ban specimens stone supposed Thomas Thomastown Tipperary tomb Tory Hill town townland tradition Triumphalia wall Waterford Wexford whilst William Windele word
Page 18 - Cittie" which gives a peculiar interest to the subject amongst enquirers into our local history. Stanihurst briefly records the fact, that " In the year 1400 Robert Talbot, a worthie gentleman, inclosed with walls the better part of the towne, by which it was greatly fortified." The same statement is made in nearly similar words by Henry Marleburgh, Sir James Ware, and other chroniclers. One annalist only, Dowling, who wrote in the beginning of the seventeenth century, in addition, says that Talbot...
Page 309 - Conn's half," so called from Conn of the hundred battles, who ruled over it in the second century. The southern half of Ireland was called Leath Mogha, ie Mogh's half, from Mogh Nuadhat, King of Munster, who, after having defeated Conn, monarch of Ireland, in ten battles, comNamely, a ring of fifteen ounces on his hand, And a chain of iron on his stout leg.
Page 306 - ... leading step in controlling the attending symptoms. The former means the prevention, the latter the cure, of the illness. No better means can be devised for attaining the latter than the knowledge of the real condition of the solids and liquids of the organism when under the action of the microbe. The object of the present paper is to call the attention of the profession to certain facts relating to yellow fever as it prevails at Vera Cruz (Mexico), which have led us into the theory that yellow...
Page 195 - The great and famous and most beautiful cathedral church of St. Keney (Canice) they have utterly defaced and ruined. They have thrown down all the roof of it, taken away five great and goodly bells, broken down all the windows and carried away every bit of glass...
Page 211 - Cloyne, and other celebrated characters ; among whom, if our recollection does not fail us, we believe we may rank Swift. In fact, it was after -its return to the hands of Protestant masters and governors that this seminary rose to the height of its fame, and that young Irish noblemen and gentlemen crowded its classes for the most approved preparation for university honours. It might be called the then Eton of the sister country. We find it necessary to observe that the building to which the title...
Page 204 - The losses of history, indeed," says Gibbon, "are irretrievable; when the productions of fancy or science have been swept away, new poets may invent, and new philosophers may reason ; but, if the inscription of a single fact be once obliterated, it cannot be restored by the united efforts of genius and industry. The consideration of our past losses should invite the present age to cherish and perpetuate the valuable relics which have escaped.
Page 250 - that a conduit of water was first established in London; the earliest was probably made by the monks of Westminster, and the precincts of the abbey are to this day supplied from the original sources. The next was constructed by the citizens of London. Henry HI.
Page 27 - From it he removed the four plates in which the jewels were embedded, and he found placed inside a wonderfully large and indescribable portion of the saving wood of the Lord's Cross. From that day, for the salvation of the human race, this is kissed and worshipped by all Christian people on the day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in the basilica of the Saviour called Constantinian [Qui etiam ex die ilio pro salute bumani generis ab omni populo cbristiano, die Exaltationis sanctae Crucis, in basilicam...
Page 151 - ... a perforation, that evidently had been formed by a pointed instrument while the animal was alive, for there is an effusion of callus or new bony matter, which could only have resulted from something remaining in the wound for a considerable period ; such an effect, indeed, as would be produced by the head of an arrow or spear.* There is, therefore, presumptive evidence that the race was extirpated "by the hunter-tribes who first took possession of these islands.