The Stoa of Attalos II in Athens
Named after its donor, the King of Pergamon, the Stoa of Attalos was originally built around 150 B.C. Between 1953 and 1956 this long, columned, marble building was rebuilt by the American School of Classical Studies to store and display finds from the Agora excavations. Using original materials and techniques, the modern builders learned much about the construction and purpose of the stoa, a ubiquitous classical building type. This heavily illustrated account presents some of their findings.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
5th century Agora excavation American School ancient architectural ancient marble ANCIENT SHOP Ancient Shopping Archaeological ARCHITRAVE Athenian Agora ATTALOS II blocks bronze building CHANNELING chips citizens Classical Studies closed rooms Coins colonnades COLUMN DRUM commonly consisted corner cornice displayed donor DORIC COLUMN DORIC FRIEZE dowels early ENTABLATURE ERECTING FACADE feet Height feet Width floor FLUTING fragments GALLERY German Gods Greek II IN ATHENS incorporated INNER COLUMNS INSCRIPTION Kameades King Attalos King of Pergamon limestone from Piraeus lower front columns LOWER STOREY market place MASONRY meters Middle Miniature mortar Museum north end original Painted Photo courtesy PRINCETON promenades provide shelter rain reconstruction recovered RESTORED revised Romans roof roughly Royal Sanctuary School of Classical second century B.C. served shaft side square Stoa of Attalos stood STUDIES AT ATHENS terrace Thereafter thousand tiles tooled TRIGLYPHS AND METOPES UPPER FRONT walls