and resigned January 24, 1865. Elijah D. Leedom was adjutant, mustered out with the regiment July 7, 1865. William H. Cooley, of Company G, was sergeant major and James W. Bunn was. hospital steward.

Company G was mainly from the vicinity of Manchester. Alexander M. Land, captain ; Thomas Mitchell, first lieutenant; Levi L. Conner, second lieutenant. The regiment was sent to Nashville on the first of November, 1864. It took part in the battle of Nashville and remained performing guard and provost duty until July 7, 1865, when it was mustered out.

James W. Bunn who has a separate sketch herein was a private in this company. There were only two persons out of the company died. They were: James C. Warren, died February 19, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.; Nathan Holt, died February 12. 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.

Company H was also from the vicinity of Manchester. John Shelton, captain , Henry Pence, first lieutenant: George W. Brittingham, second lieutenant. Dr. Robt. W. Purdy was a private soldier of this company. Of Company H. Nelson Beam died June 21, 1865: Silas Cadwallader died October 20, 1864, at Nashville. Tenn.; Robert S. Little, died April 14, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.; Jeremiah Tomlin died November 9, 1864, at his home in Adams County.

Company I had for its officers, William H. Shriver, captain; Elijah

D. Leedom, first lieutenant: John K. Pollard, second lieutenant, who has a separate sketch herein. There were no deaths in Companv I during the service.

Company D, 191st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

This company was organized in February, 1865, to serve one year. The regiment left Columbus, Ohio on the day of its organization, under orders to proceed to Winchester, Va., and report to Major-General Hancock. The regiment was assignee' to the Second Brigade. Second Division, Army of the Shenandoah. Its only duty was garrison duty in the valley, marching as far south as Winchester, where it remained until August 27. 1865, when it was mustered out in accordance with orders from the War Department The following are the casualties: George

E. Anderson, died March 13, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio; Francis Higgins, died April 4, 1865, at Cumberland, Md.; William L. Higgins, died March 22, 1865, at Harper's Ferry, W. Va.; Jesse W. Monroe, died February 18, 1863, at Camp Chase, Ohio; Marion M. Patton, died April 3, 1865, at Harper's Ferry, W. Va.; William Thoroman, died April 6, 1865, at Harper's Ferry, W. Va.

Seventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry

was recruited from the counties in the southwestern part of the state and was known as the "River Regiment." It was mustered into service from September 12, 1862, to November 8, 1862, at Columbus, Camp Ripley, Athens. Pomeroy and Gallipolis, Ohio, to serve three years. At the time of its organization it numbered 1,204 men and at the time of muster out 840 men. It was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., July 4, 1865, and was paid and discharged at Camp Dennison. C'

The regimental field officers were: Israel Garrard, colonel; George G. Minor, lieutenant colonel; James McIntire, major; Isaac Train, surgeon, and Theodore F. Allen, adjutant.

Adams County contributed Company F to this regiment. This company was recruited at Bentonville, Ohio by Allen G. Brownfield, who was made captain of the company. Joseph R. Copeland and Oliver H. Eylar were first and second lieutenants respectively. The non-commissioned officers were: Wm. E. Jennings, orderly; Samuel Dryden, quartermasters sergeant; Samuel B. Truitt, commissary sergeant, Thomas J. Robbins, James Froman, Jenkins Davis, Robert McNeil and Argus McCall, sergeants.

The corporals were: Reuben O. Cropper, Henry Stableton, John H. Starrett. John A. McCall, Andrew J. Phillips, James L. Park, Geo. D. Cox and Wm. D. Rees.

The survivors of the 7th O. V. I., residing in Adams County, are all members of Company F. They are: Wm. H. Vane, first sergeant and promoted to second lieutenant, assigned to Company E; James Froman, Samuel B. Truitt, promoted to Reg. Com. Sergeant; Robert C. McNeil, Enoch McCall, Reuben O. Cropper, Benj. K. Swearingen, Charles Bowman. Wm. Hooper, Stephen R. Bradford, John C. Wright, Moses Brittingham, John Clinger, Wm. H. Rhinehart, Thomas Swearingen, Peter F. Darnell, Richard M. J. Doggett, Charles Edgington, Albert Urton, Alexander Fleming, Samuel Grimes, Wilson M. Grooms, Elijah Hill. John F. Howell, John P. Levi, John A. McCall, Sylvester Moore, Wm. H. Park, John J. Kirts, John W. Hughes.

Those of Company F, who lost their lives in service are: James M. Campbell, James Palmer, Argus McCall. John B. Smith, Ferdinand Redinger, John A. Ross, Samuel Searse, Thomas Jackson, Albert Jarvis, Edward Cunningham, John H. Starrett and Wm. R. Duzan, the two latter losing their lives on the ill fated "Sultana."

The engagements that the Seventh Regiment took active part in were: Dutton Hill, Ky., March 30. 1863; Cumberland Gap, Tenn., September 9, 1863; Blue Springs, Tenn., October 10, 1863: Franklin, Tenn., November 30, 1864; Nashville, Tenn.. December 15-16, 1864; Plantersville, Ala., April 1, 1865; Selma, Ala., April 2, 1865; Cynthiana, Ky., June 11, 1864; Buffington's Island, Ohio, July 19, 1863.

The hardest fought battle ever participated in was Franklin, Tenn. At Rogersville, Tenn.. the regiment met its most serious losses by capture. The captured men suffered greatly in Libby and Andersonviile prisons. One of the most deplorable events which occurred during the service of this regiment was the explosion of the steamer '"Sultana." April 27, 1865, on the Mississippi River near Memphis, Tenn. Several members of this regiment had been paroled at Yicksburg and were O". their way home when the explosion occurred in the night and several hundred men lost their lives.

Major General Upton in General Order, No. 21, issued at Edgefield, Tenn., in 1865, highly compliments this regiment for its bravery and eminent service, rendered in the last campaign of the war, reciting the conduct of the division of which the seventh was a part, he says: "In thirty days you have traveled 600 miles, crossing six rivers, met and defeated the enemy at Montevalle, Ala., capturing 100 prisoners; routed Forrest, Buford and Rhoddy in their chosen position at Ebenezer, capturing two guns and 300 prisoners; carried the works in your front at Selma, capturing thirteen guns and 1,100 prisoners, five battle flags, and finally crowned your success by a night assault on the enemy's entrenchments at Columbus, Ga., where you captured 1500 prisoners, twenty-four guns, eight battle flags with vast ammunitions of war; April 21, you arrived at Macon, Ga., having captured on your march 300 prisoners, thirty-nine pieces of artillery and thirteen battle flags. Whether mounted with the saber or dismounted with carbines the brave men of the Third, Fourth, and Ffth Iowa; First and Seventh Ohio and Tenth Missouri triumphed in every conflict."

Battery F, First Regiment Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery.

This company was mustered in December 2, 1861, at Camp Dennison, Ohio. Mustered out July 22, 1865.

The company was raised about Locust Grove in Adams County and Ripley in Brown County.

The original officers were: Daniel T. Cockerill, captain, who was promoted to major. July 24, 1864. Samuel M. Espey, first lieutenant, resigned June 15, 1862. Giles J. Cockerill, first lieutenant, promoted to captain of Company D, March 16, 1834. George W. Blair, second lieutenant, resigned January 15, 1862. John Lynch, second lieutenant.

This battery participated in the following battles: Corinth, Miss., advanced on April 18 to May 30, 1862; Stone River, Tenn., December 31, 1862, to Januarv 2. 1863; Chickamauga, Tenn., September 19 to 20, 1863.

The following were the causalities in the battery: Leonard E. Barber died May 9, 1862, ten miles from the Tennessee River; William Barney died July 15, 1863, Louisville, Ky.; Banford Bell died March 31, 1862, at Columbia, Tenn.; Elias Briddle died August 3, 1864, at Decatur, Ala.; Samuel Billingsley died May 27, 1864; Joseph E. Bratton died January 22, 1862, at Camp Chase, Ohio; Lewis A. Brown died September 7, 1864, at Decatur, Ala.; Orticle Brundege died March 26, 1864; William T. Carter died June 16, 1862; George W. Davidson died April 5, 1862; Josiah J. Downing died February 13, 1863, at Stone River; Hugh Frazier died August 1, 1862, at Manchester, Tenn.; Harrison Frazier died February 13, 1863, near Readyville, Tenn., of wounds; John A. Harsha died March 11, 1864; Lafayette Joiner died June 30, 1864; Edwin M. Kinney died July 21, 1864, at Wooster, Ohio; Alexander Lorenzo died May 29, 1865, at Huntsville, Ala.; John Lynch, second lieutenant, killed September 19, 1863, at the battle of Chickamauga, Ga.; Matthew McClollum died May 15, 1862; William McDonald died January 10, 1864, at Nashville, Tenn.; James S. McKnitt died February 17, 1864, in Adams County, Ohio; Thomas A. Nicholas, killed December 31, 1862, at the battle of Stone River; Maxwell D. Parr died August 1, 1864, at Decatur, Ala.; William T. Savage died October i6v 1864, at Nashville, Tenn.; Lorin A. Steele died April 16, 1862, at Nashville, Tenn.; John Stevens died March 14. 1863, at Murfreesboro, Tenn.; William O. Suters died January 5, 1865, at Decatur, Ala.; Robert Vance died February 25, 1862, at Paducah, Ky.; David M. Waggoner died February 18, 1864, at Nashville, Tenn.

Company E, First Regiment Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery

This regiment was mustered into the service as the One Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment, O. V. I., in September, 1862, at Camp Portsmouth, Ohio, its eight companies aggregating 796 men. In October, 1862, the regiment was ordered to Kentucky, where for the succeeding seven months it was engaged in guard duty and expeditions against guerrillas. In May, 1863, orders were issued by the War Department changing the organization into the First Regiment Heavy Artillery, Ohio Volunteers, and on August 2, 1863, it was so reorganized, with twelve full companies, aggregating 1,839 officers and men. During reorganization it was stationed about Covington and Newport, Ky. During the fall and winter of 1863-64 the regiment, in battalion detachments, was engaged in guard duty at various points in Kentucky. On Februay 19, 1864, it started through severe weather over the mountains to Knoxville, Tenn., arriving there March 9. Until September the regiment was engaged in guarding the railroads through Tennessee, and subsequently participated in Burbridge and Stoneman's raids against Saltville. During the winter of 1864 and 1865 it was engaged in fighting guerrillas in East Tennessee and North Carolina. It formed a part of the First Brigade, Fourth Division, in guarding captured points and guarding mountain passes. After the surender of Lee and Johnson the regiment saw service in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. On July 25, 1865, it was mustered out of the service, at Knoxville, Tennessee. James A. Murphy was captain at the organization and has a separate sketch in this work; Jacob M. Tener, first lieutenant, resigned December 14, 1863; James R. Oldson, first lieutenant; James W. Potts, second lieutenant; Samuel R. Russell, second lieutnant.

The causalities were as follows: Andrew J. Beavers died February 13, 1864, at Cincinnati, Ohio; Jacob Bobb died July 23, 1864, at Knoxville, Tenn.; Noah Countryman died May 9, 1865, at Knoxville, Tenn.; Frank Elliott died February 6, 1864, at Covington, Ky.; Samuel Hayslip died September 16, 1863, at Covington, Ky.; James M. Hunter died July 14, 1864, at Knoxville, Tenn.; Richard Mullis, March 21, 1864, at Cincinnati, Ohio; John W. Newland died March 10, 1864, at Knoxville, Tenn.; William Rude died December 9. 1863, at Covington, Ky.; Wesley Zile died July 19, 1863, at Covington, Ky.

Company B, Second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery

This regiment was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, from June to September, 1863, to serve three years. It was mustered out of the service August 23, 1865. Company B of this regiment was mustered in August 5, 1863, at Camp Dennison and sent to Covington Barracks, Ky.; thence on the fifth of September to Bowling Green, Ky. It lay here until May 26, 1864, when it moved to Charleston, Tenn.' On the third of August the company was at Cleveland, Tenn., and took part in an engagement at that place on the 17th. On the nineteenth the company moved to Fort Saunders and Knoxville, and on the eighteenth of November, 1864, moved to open communications with the Union forces at Strawberry Plains. On the 20th of November 1844 it returned to Knoxville, and on the seventh of December marched to Bean's Station, Tenn. On the 29th of December, 1864, it again returned to Knoxville, moving immediately thereafter to Camp Rothrock and Fort Byington. It was mustered out August 23, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn.

The original officers were Phillip Rothrock, captain, died October 12, 1864, of wounds received August 17, 1864, in the battle of Cleveland, Tenn. He has a separate sketch herein. Isaac J. Vance was first lieutenant; Emory Golden, first lieutenant; Corwin Wick, second lieutenant; Francis Reichman, second lieutenant.

The following were the casualities in the company: Lewis Bunn died October 3, 1863, at Bowling Green, Ky.; Barnabas M. Coleman died January 7, 1865, at Knoxville, Tenn.; John W. Corwin died December 7, 1864, at Knoxville, Tenn.; Daniel Emrie died September 5, 1864, at Charleston, Tenn.; John Evans died July 27, 1864, at Charleston, Tenn.; Nathan Fassett died December 15, 1865, at his home in Ohio; John M. Hart died April 16, 1865. at Knoxville, Tenn.; David R. Hoffman died September 2, 1864, at Cleveland, Tenn.; John Meister died September 7, 1864, at Cleveland Tenn.; Robert A. Naylor died June 25, 1864, accidentally drowned at Charleston, Tenn.; Samuel C. Orr died March 8, 1864, at Bowling Green. Ky.; Charles D. Perrine died July 25, 1864, at Charleston, Tenn.; Phillip Rothrock, captain, died October 18, 1864, at Cleveland, Tenn.; David Ruble died September 23, 1863, at Bowling Green, Ky.; James F. Snook died July 11, 1865, at Knoxville, Ky.; Silas M. Thomas died August 13, 1864. at Cleveland, Tenn.; Charles Wood died January 14, 1864, at Bowling Green, Ky., of accidental wounds.

Second Independent Battery Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery

The roster of the organization will be found on page 659 of Vol. 10, of the roster of the Ohio soldiers, published under the authority of the state. This battery was organized for the shortest term of service of any military organization which ever went out of Adams County, and it has been said that the rebellion could not have been put down had not it been for the assistance of this battery in the service. It was made up Jargely of citizens past military age and some who had seen soldiers' life before. The company was mustered into service on the seventeenth day of October, 1864, for a period of sixty days and they were mustered out on the nineteenth day of December, 1864, having served sixty-three days.

The original commissioned officers of the company were: Samuel M. Espy, captain, of Ripley, Ohio: James Tripp, first lieutenant, of Jackson, Ohio; James H. Bradford, first lieutenant, of West Union. Ohio; George H. Darling, second lieutenant, from West Union, Ohio; William S. Beasley, second lieutenant, of Ripley, Ohio.

Those of the company from West Union or from Adams County, are as follows: Joseph Hayslip, James Moore, Jacob M. Wells, William Allen, John Naylor, John A. Cockerill. Casper Disser. Robert Baldridge, Samuel Bealey, Handy C. Burbage, Samuel Burwell, Gabriel Crawford, Edward P. Evans, Wilson Hayslip, John Holmes, John A. Hood, Joshua B. Hook, George N. Hagenback, Joseph Lafferty, Robert Leach, Arthur L. Lloyd, Jesse A. Osborne, Addison Postle

« PreviousContinue »