Page images

for $400, and called Rev. James Lower to the pulpit. On the 12th of May, 1880, the dedication services were held, Rev. S. P. Carrolton, officiating. Rev. Lower served but a short time, when he was succeeded by Rev. B. Blackford, the present Pastor. The church is still small, but much interest is manifested, and with the growth of the town it promises to increase in membership.

The Catholics of St. Paris have no regularly organized church. They hold meetings on the last Sabbath of each month, in Bowersock's Hall, with the priests of this diocese, Father Henry and Father Donahue, officiating. They first commenced meeting thus about twenty years ago. There are between seventy and eighty of them in all. They have a lot purchased and paid for, in the southern part of town, and contemplate building them a church as soon as the state of their finances will permit.

The colored people of the town are gathering in strength, and hope soon to form themselves into a church and erect a house of worship. They are led by Rev. Marshall, of Piqua, who preaches for them from time to time.


This bank was organized July 15, 1880, with the following board of officers:

Lambert Pond, President; E. V. Rhoads, Cashier; Henry Sayler, Vice President; John Poorman, G. W. Kite, William Michael, H. Sayler and L. Pond, Directors. The charter bears date of August 2, 1880. Paid-up stock, $52,100. They commenced doing business in their handsome new building, on Springfield street, November 8, 1880.

A private bank was opened in 18Q6, by Isaac Brubaker and S. T. McMorran, which was succeeded, in the year 1877, by the private bank of Bowersock & Son, now in operation.


The first newspaper started in the town was the St. Paris Independent, * weekly, published by Vaughn Brothers for fourteen months, from the spring of 1870, after which the office and materials were removed from the town. The village was then without a local paper until June, .1872, when O' Haver & Stawn commenced the publication of the St. Paris Informant. In December of the same year, they sold it to Mussen & Taylor, the name, in the meantime, having been changed to The New Era, and, in the month of April following, Taylor took entire control and continued the publication until November, when he sold it to Mussen & Co., who, in their turn, sold it to H. H. Hall, in January, 1877. In May, 1880, the present proprietor, C. R. Mussen, took charge of it for the third time. The files and records were all destroyed by a fire on October 28, 1879. The paper has always been Democratic in politics, with the exception of the time Mr. Hall had control, when it was Independent.

Another Democratic weekly, called the St. Paris Enterprise, was started August 9, 1878, by C. R. Carlow; but, in the January following, the publication was discontinued.

ST. PARIS LODUE, NO. 246, I. 0. 0. F.

This lodge was instituted May 10, 1854, by Especial Deputy C. F. Waiter with eleven members and the following officers: E. Pretzman, N. G.; W. Overhulz, V. G.; G. W. Flowers, Sec.; E. A. Stockton, Per. Sec.; I. Batdorf, Treas. The present number of members is seventy-three active and sixty-four dormant.

Their officers now are: F. E. Bull, N. G.; Jacob Judy, V. G.; A. E, Pond, Sec.; J. Huffman, Treas. The lodge owns a fine two-story brick, which they built at a cost of $5,000, their lodge-room occupying the second story.

RUSSELL ENCAMPMENT, No. 141, I. 0. 0. F.

This lodge was organized July 19, 1871, with a board of officers consisting of E. Pretzman, C. P.; D. H. McDaniels, H. P.; E. V. Rhoads, S. W.; Ira Wiant, J. W.; J. F. Riker, Scribe, and Jacob Huffman, (Treas., and sixteen charter members.

There are now forty-four active and eight dormant members. The officers now are: C. A. Robinson, C. P.; Caleb Jones, H. P.; L. W. Gibbs, S. W.; E. D. Hasok, J. W.; H. C. Gibbs, Scribe; Jacob Huffman, Treas. They meet in the hall of the lodge, No. 246.

PHAROS LODGE, NO. 355, A., F. A A. M.,

was instituted October 16,1865, with sixteen members and the following board of officers: John E. Finnegan, W. M.; G..T. McMorran, S. W.; E. R. Northcutt, J. W.; E. H. Furrow, Treasurer; H. H. Long, Secretary; J. J. Musson, S. D.; W. F. Furrow, J. D.; Joseph Comer, Tiler; John Slonaker, Jacob McMorran, Stewards. The present officers are: E. V. Rhoads, W. M.; S. T. McMorran, S. W.; John Poorman, J. W.; J. K. Furrow, Treasurer; E. D. Hawk, Secretary; J. T. Kite, S. D.; J. N. Smith, Tiler; T. J. Kite and J. B. Kizer, Stewards. The lodge has a nicely furnished hall in Bowersock Building, where their meetings are held.

ST. PARIS CHAPTER, No. 132, R. A. M.,

was constituted by Companion James Nesbit, Grand Secretary of the Grand Chapter, R. A. M., of Ohio, October 30, 1872, with eleven charter members. The first officers elected were: S. T. McMorran, H. P.; W. S. Cox, King; G. R. Kizer, Scribe. The chapter now numbers twenty-two members. They occupy the hall with Pharos Lodge. The following are the present officers: Emmet V. Rhoads, H. P.; G. D. Graham, King; W. F. Furrow, Scribe; B. F. Baker, Captain of H.; S. T. McMorran, P. S.; John Poorman, Treasurer; A. S. Brecount, Secretary; W. S. Hunt, Guard.



The Young Men's Christian Association of St. Paris is the result of a meeting held for that purpose in the Baptist Church, November 7, 1876, F. M. Porch acting as President of the meeting and G. W. Kelley as Secretary. November 7, 1876, one week later, the association was regularly organized with a board of officers consisting of E. S. Faucett, President; G. W. Kelley, Vice President; John McMorran, Secretary; William Henderson, Treasurer. They rented a room, held their stated meetings, and for a time promised to become a body of some power in the community, but the members began to tire of it and one by one dropped from the ranks, until, in July, 1880, they were obliged to relinquish their room from lack of funds. This seems rather strange, when their books are seen showing a membership of forty-three, originally, increased toone hundred and four, which was the number at disbandment. But of these one hundred and four, only seven were active members. The last board of officers were: W. N. Reinhard, President; James Brokaw, Vice President; J. N. McAllister, Secretary; Augustus Leedom, Treasurer.


There are two of these ancient hallowed spots in the northern part of the town, and a beautifully laid out cemetery comprising eight acres of ground. The latter is known as Evergreen Cemetery and was laid out in 1877, the ground having been purchased by John McMorran for the sum of ?200. Few interments have as yet been made. The grounds are being improved and beautified, and will doubtless soon be in keeping with the cemeteries of the day. The other two are situated opposite each other, the one on the west side of the road, known as the Methodist and Reform, was never laid out into lots. People began burying there on account of the high elevation of the ground. The other, known as the Lutheran and Baptist, had its origin in the same manner, but in later years was regularly laid out in family lots. We have been unable to fix the dates when these yards were first used for burying purposes.


This beautiful little village, of some two hundred inhabitants, is situated in the eastern part of the township. The land on which it stands was, at one time, the farm of Casper Miller, after whose death it fell it to his son, Christ, who, in connection with a cousin, John G. Miller, had the ground laid out into lots. The surveying was done by John Arrowsmith, in the year 1837. Christ built the first house, which was of brick. He lived in it, and there opened a grocery and tavern. The first Postmaster was Isaac Ammon. It can boast of two churches, Reformed and Baptist, and a schoolhouse; also of a number of neat and pretty residences. It is supplied with three stores, a shoe-shop, two blacksmith-shops, a saw-mill, and last, but not least, a hotel, the Valley House. Dr. Comer administers to the sick. The school is taught by S. D. Harman. The first-named church was organized in 1821, and worshiped in the jointlybuilt church at the Salem Graveyard, a history of which is given in the township matter, where they continued to worship until the church was built in Millerstown, Rev. J. Steiner serving as the first Pastor in 1852. He was followed by Rev. Jesse Richards, who remained their Pastor nearly sixteen years. The Baptists have no regular organized church. The building was bought from the Universalists in 1879. Rev. I. R. Randell, of the Myrtle Tree Church, preaching for them occasionally. A Universalist Church was here conducted through a period of nineteen years. It was organized in September, 1860, by Rev. T. S. Guthrie, with a membership of twenty-six. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. S. P. Carlton. After disposing of the church in Millerstown, that denomination purchased the old Methodist Episcopal Church building in St. Paris. Politically speaking, the inhabitants of the village are pretty generally Democrats, there being, at the November election in the precinct, but twelve Republican votes cast.


named after John Quincy Adams, lies in the northwest corner of Champaign County. No railroad crosses its borders, yet it is within range of several lines. It has been conceded that, in point of production, individual enterprise and traveling facilities, this is by far the most unpretentious township in the county. This state of affairs is rapidly being remedied. A superior system of drainage has been adopted; the inhabitants are tearing down the dilapidated cabins that have been an eye-sore to the passers-by for years, erecting in their stead magnificent structures, some of which are unequaled by those of any rural township in the county. The township is traversed by a complete net-work of pikes, and last, but not least, a railroad is under construction. Originally, the township was an unbroken forest, and years passed away before the timber was sufficiently removed to admit the profitable tilling of the soil. A portion of the northern sections is more adapted to grazing, and enormous herds of cattle, swine and sheep are fed each year. As an agricultural section, Adams ranks alike with her sister townships, wheat being the principal production, the average yearly yield ranging from twenty to twenty-five bushels to the acre.

At the organization of Champaign County,'this township was embraced in what is now known as Johnson Township. In 1826 or 1827, the township was divided, that portion described as Township 3 and Range 13 being called Adams. On the north it is bounded by Logan County, on the east by Harrison and Concord Townships, on the south by Johnson Township and on the west by Shelby County. It embraces an area of thirty square miles. The southern part of Adams is quite rolling, the land sloping gradually northward. Sections 29 and 36, in the southeast corner, are crossed by Mosquito Creek, whose waters expand in parts of both sections, forming a lake of some dimensions, fed in addition by a stream having its source in Section 18. Another stream has its source in the southern part of the township, and flows northward, crossipg the township and entering Logan County. A few streams in the western part of minor importance complete the list.


The dreary and altogether uninviting aspect of this township was the means of preventing permanent settlements for several years after the other sections of this county had been generally entered. The hunter often entered these precincts deserted by humanity, but his life was one of constant travel, and he remained long enough only to secure the game which he had pursued into the almost impenetrable forests. These forests abounded in game. Bear, deer, turkeys, squirrels and porcupines had been driven here from the surrounding country. As yet, the ax of the sturdy pioneer had not been uplifted against the trees of the forests; no sign of human habitation was visible. The year 1811 marked the arrival of the first actual settler in the person of Asahel Wilkinson, a Virginian, who settled on Section 14. We will state in this connection that he was a great hunter, and paid for his land from the proceeds of furs taken from the game he killed. On his land were located sulphur springs, which were noted by the Indians as containing medicinal properties. The denizens of the forest often congregated here to heal their sick. They also indulged in shooting matches, generally selecting a spot in the vicinity of this spring. Upon Wilkinson's arrival, his cash possessions amounted to just $200 in silver. This money he secreted in a stump near the springs. This stump was selected for a target by the redskins during one of their expeditions. Mr. Wilkinson was absent from home, and Mrs. W. entertained fears that the money would be discovered and carried off by the "sharp-shooters," but fortunately her worst fears were not realized.

Six Indian families camped at this place on one occasion, including a "Big Medicine" man, whose wonderful cures attracted the settlers for miles around. On this farm was erected a block-house daring the Indian troubles. Wilkinson was on friendly relations with a number of the savages, but was insecure from those unacquainted with him. The latter arranged to attack the settlers in this neighborhood on a certain night. Wilkinson was apprised of this intended massacre by some of his dusky friends, and with his neighbors and their families retreated to the fort. They remained there for several days, but their cabins remained unmolested; the intended attack had been abandoned by its projectors.

We have carried the reader some five or six years beyond the era of the first settlement. Upon returning to the starting point, we find that Wilkinson was the only permanent resident up to 1812-13. At this time, Henry Ritter settled on Section 6, and proceeded to take preparatory steps requisite for its cultivation. Daniel Neal figures as the next man who settled here, he entering a portion of Section 36 in 1813. William McCrosky settled on Section 5 in 1816. One year later, George and Peter Halterman purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 18. Silas Johnson, with his son Walker, settled on part of Section 31 in 1818. James Russel left his home in the Sunny South (Virginia) and began clearing for a new home on Section 6. One Lee, also, deserves recognition as an early settler. The foregoing constitute the arrivals for the ten years following the first settlement. The tide of immigration was slow, owing to the inferior advantages offered. The land was entered at 8'2 per acre, for which price much better localities could be secured.


Asahel Wilkinson was born in Harrison County, Va., on September 16, 1776. Nature had destined him for a hunter, as was seen by his constant trips to the woods in search of game. When quite young he was married to Charity Ragen. Up to the year 1811, their union had been blessed with four children—William, Mary, Thomas and Joseph. Making a living in Virginia was at that time a difficult task, and the outlook for the future was dark and gloomy. "Go to Ohio," was the favorite cry of the Virginians, and a number did go. Our friend Wilkinson had discussed the advisability of leaving his native soil for a new home in the Northwest, with his better-half. Visions of a home and luxury in the beautiful Ohio forests flitted before him, while the barren hills of Virginia promised only poverty and desolation for the future. In 1811, he came to a decision, and, accompanied by his family and several neighboring families, started on his journey.

A few days before they commenced their journey, one of their neighbors, who, with his family, intended to accompany them, became deranged with the thought that they would come to want in their new home. His insanity became violent, and, in the dead of the night, he murdered his wife and nine children. This did not deter the others, and, on the appointed day, they started, riding

« PreviousContinue »