« PreviousContinue »
of Genbei at Tokio, and is a worthy example of the training trees receive by him; the Jikkei shape is remarkably well brought out; height, 2 feet, 3 inches; width, 3 feet, 6 in.; age, about 90 years; blue and white Seto pot. See "Important Notice " and illustration.
394. Chabo Hiba. Golden variety; a splendidly trained tiny speci
men which makes a charming cabinet piece; mark the exposed roots'; height, 6 inches; age, 15 years; Idzumo pot.
395. Podocarpus Okina. Variegated; shows good training and is
a very decorative specimen of this variety; height, 26 inches; age, about 45 years; blue and white Seto pot.
396. Pinus Parviflora. Twisted and grafted; a very beautiful little
tree; height, 11 inches; age, about 25 years; Seto pot.
397. Pinus Parviflora. Exposed roots carefully trained; good cab
inet specimen; height, 7 inches; age, 15 years; Owari pot.
398. Sakaki. This charming variety has been remarkably developed
in this specimen, and received careful training in every line; the foliage is very marked, making it highly decorative; a valuable ornament; height, 30 inches; age, about 20 years; Seiji pot.
399. Chabo Hiba. Green variety; Jikkei shape; a very well trained
tree in every particular; height, 24 inches; age, about 40 years; Idzumo pot.
The following fifty-one plants have been selected with the greatest care, as we wish to present to the plant lovers of Boston a collection of trees notable in each and every particular. Here one finds the various methods of tree training wonderfully demonstrated, many unique and striking examples being displayed; in fact, each tree is in itself a perfect specimen of some peculiar style of training. A more noteworthy collection of carefnlly trained and splendidly developed trees has never been exhibited in this country.
400. Chabo Hiba. tpolden variety; the Midara shape is here beau
tifully brought out by Tokicho, of Tokio; a better specimen of this training is rarely, if ever, secured; perfect in form; height, 25 inches; age, about 70 years; Shigaraki pot.