Page images

lie was happily married April 11, 1*42, to Miss Laura Carpenter, with whom he lived for more than fifty years. A few weeks after the celebration of the golden anniversary, this happy union was broken by the death of Mrs. Stanley.

In 1847 he was licensed to preach and in 1857 joined the Conference. The following appointments were served: Cumberland, Monument, East Mansfield, Somers, East Glastonbury, Mystic, Fisherville, South Manchester, East Greenwich, New Bedford (Fourth Street), Newport (Marlboro Street), and Washington. For several years he served as Agent for the Rhode Island Bible Society.

In 1889 a superannuate relation was given him in the Conference, and from that time he continued to make his home at Highland Park, Conn., where his two sons, Robert N. and Edward C, and his two daughters, Mrs. Marietta S. Case and Miss Ella M. Stanley, reside. His second wife was Miss Maria Weaver, of West Thompson, Conn., with whom lie lived happily until his death, and who survives him.

Mr. Stanley was an untiring workman in his ministry, and was not contented unless seeing the interests of his Church advance. Possessing a Renins for architecture and a skill as a carpenter, he not infrequently left his charges improved at the expense of his own labor. At Arnold's Mills, bis first appointment, he built the parsonage, and was also to a large extent the builder of the commodious one at South Manchester. Several other parsonages in the Conference have been built after plans drawn by him, as well as the beautiful church at Stafford Springs, also those at Thames Street, Newport, and Scituate.

During his life he contributed many articles both in prose and poetry to various periodicals, and wrote several books which he published.

Mr. Stanley always held strong convictions of what he considered the right. He was a delegate to the first Free-Soil party convention held in Connecticut, at Hartford, and was deeply interested in the abolition of slavery. He voted with the Republican party from its inception until 18*U, when he felt it his duty to sever his connection with that party and ally himself with the Prohibition party.

A brother in bis Conference, who knew him long and intimately, said of him in a recent letter: "He was one of the bravest spirits who ever honored a Methodist Conference. When a moral principle was involved he threw himself into the scale for all he was worth. He had a deep sense of the eternal distinction between right and wrong. Iu the fight for freedom and temperance it was never necessary to ask where he stood. He was always where the Cross was. He was an able man. He was a thinker; an independent thinker. He could see a question in all its bearings, near and remote."

The funeral services were held in his late home at Highland Park and in the South Manchester Church under the direction of the pastor, Rev. Julian S. Wadsworth, who was assisted by Rev. E. P. Phreaner, Rev. W. J. Yates, Rev. D. W. Adams, and Rev. F. C. Baker. The burial was at the cemetery at South Manchester.


William Jones Wilson was born in Union, Me., April 29, 1818, and died in Warren, R. I., March 29, 1890. Left an orphan at an early age, he was placed in charge of relatives. He was converted at seven years of age, but owing to a lack of interest on the part of his relatives be was not received into the church. At about nineteen years of age he was reclaimed and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was soon licensed as an ezhorter, and in bis early twenties was licensed to preach. He joined the Maine Conference in 184G. The next year he was married to Miss Sedelia A. Follett, and then began an itinerant life, which continued for nearly rifty-two years. Four children were born to them, of whom two,—Mrs. Rev. C. H. Smith of Phenix, li. I., and Mrs. Rev. H. W. Brown of Warren, 11, I., together with their mother, surviv e.

At the division of the Maine Conference, Brother Wilson became a member of the East Maine Conference, where he continued to travel for about twenty years. Owing to the ill health of his wife, he removed by transfer to the West Wisconsin Conference, where he continued for three years. He was then transferred to the Wisconsin Conference, in which he continued his relation until death.

Through the continued ill health of his wife he was again obliged to go West, going to central Nebraska in 1872. Here he had work under the Presiding Elder, his circuit being the western half of the State of Nebraska. During the four years of bis stay he preached the first sermon in many places where to-day are well organized societies. I have frequently accompanied him on his preaching tours, in which be traveled from ten to seventy-rive miles to preach on the Sabbath. His later ministry has been in Wisconsin, South Dakota, Maine, and since our last Conference in Hingham, Mass. During much of bis ministerial life he bus done heronpioneer work for the Master. His most notable revivals were in Belfast, Me., where over five hundred were converted and a new brick church erected, and in Brodhead, Wis , where over two hundred were added to the church. His ministerial life has been one of continued success. He was emphatically an evangelistic preacher, and souls were everywhere added to the church. He arrived in Hingham, Mass., on his eightieth birthday, a great disappointment to the people who were looking for a young man: tint before the first service was closed, he was voted by all to be young enough to suit. The people there count it a great privilege ti"> have him buried in their midst.

Much might be said of his long and active career as a Methodist preacher. He was in Maine during the noted Maine-law controversy, during the trying times of Millerism, and he also frequently contended with the Universalists against their heretical teachings.

He was a loyalist to the church of his choice, learning bis letters from the Zion's Herald during its earliest history, and ever cherished an increasing love for Methodism. He preached In thirty-six different circuits and stations.

In bis death the church and the world lose a Methodist preacher of the grand old heroic type.

The funeral services were conducted at Hingham, Mass., by the Presiding Elder, Dr. E. C. Bass.


Mrs. Abigail Kenneson Benton, widow of the late Rev. Sanford Benton, was born March 1, 1813, in Taunton, Mass., anil entered the nnseen life from South Manchester, Conn., July 20, 1808.

Her ancestors were among the early and highly respected families of New England. Her father, appreciating the advantages of culture, sent his daughter to Pembroke Academy, and afterward to the Fitchhurg Academy, where she was educated. In childhood, she attended the Congregational Church until her parents became interested in Methodism, when she made that the church of her choice, though she did not become a member of it until after her marriage.

She was married to the Rev. Sanford Benton Feb. 26, 183T>, while living in North Leominster, Mass. During twenty-seven years she was a sympathetic sharer with her husband of all the experiences of the itinerancy. This beautiful union was broken, temporarily, in 18ti2, when he was transferred to the higher activities of heaven. They had served the churches at Saugus, Lynn, New Bedford, Norwich, New London, Mystic, Warren, Taunton, and Edgartown, returning for a second pastorate to the church at South Manchester, when the summons came for her husband shortly after their appointment to the church at Thompsonville. There arc very many from these several fields of labor who will " rise up to call her blessed."

She was one who despised oppression of all kinds, and sympathized keenly with her husband in the position which he took for the abolition of slavery, ho being a member of the General Conference of 1844.

After the death of her husband, Mrs. Benton came to South Manchester. Conn., where she continued to make her home with her beloved children, Sanford M., and S. Adelaide Benton, until she too was summoned to "the glad home land not far away."

In many respects Mrs. Benton was an ideal wife for a minister. Her high ideals of life were a constant inspiration to his noblest efforts. Her nature was singularly modest and retiring, and yet her moral courage and strength of character made her presence felt wherever she was. She lived above the plane of openly criticizing people and their motives, and was beloved by all who knew her. During her residence in South Manchester she was a constant attendant upon the means of grace, and all of her pastors could testify to her loyalty to the church. Few listeners have been more attentive, keen, anil charitable, anil therefore few more inspiring and helpful. Rarely did she meet her pastor without showing her sympathetic interest in the work of his ministry. Many kind words attested her gratitude for the helpfulness of the sermon. Thoroughly upright, the truth, as she saw it, so possessed her that she was eminently faithful to the home, the family, her friends, to the memory of her departed, to the church and its interests, and to God. Possessing a rare mind, she held lofty ideals, and succeeded in inspiring those with whom she came in contact with similar aspirations. Particularly was she ambitious that young people should seek higher education. Books were her companions. She was never alone in their presence. She was fond of art, and was deeply moved by the grandeur of natural scenery. Always industrious, whatever she did, she did thoroughly. In simple dress, she went about, so long as she was able, doing kindly deeds in a quiet way, winning the love and strengthening the character of all.

"Hers was an unusual type of character — noble, righteous, keen, »nd broad-minded. Rectitude is the word which stands out prominently as one thinks of her. One could not say or do a small or mean thing in her presence. She put to shame all that was not noble."

Rev. Henry D. Robinson, whose ministry had been largely inspired by a long and close friendship with Mrs. Benton, was present at the funeral and spoke beautifully of the life that had been an inspiration to so many. Mrs. Benton was laid by the side of her husband in Mount Hope Cemetery, Boston.


Mary Hutchins Conant was born in Windham, Conn., Oct. 5, 1824. She was early deprived of her parents, living with an only sister during her maidenhood.

At the age of fifteen she was converted among the Congregationalists, whose communion she shared for half a decade.

Sept. 28, 1845, she was married to Rev. Henry W. Conant, a member of the New England Southern Conference. Six children were favored with the wealth of her affection, and the priceless inheritance of her noble character. Of these, Elmer G., and Carrie M., survive, to take up her pennon of usefulness, and bear it forward, while a mother's benison shall descend upon them as "dew upon the mown grass." From her Christ-lit throne she will often bend to draw thorns from weary feet, and sponge filial grief into God's bottle.

Hesitatingly, but consecratingly, she entered with her husband the duties, cares, and trials of the ministry, and among all their appointments her name is as "ointment poured forth." Never neglecting her duties as mother, she deeply sympathized in all ministerial work, diminishing its ennui, and augmenting its success.

On the field of temperance her influence was prominent, positive, and prudential, and will long be remembered. She possessed a rounded character, embracing fidelity, pure-mindedness, unselfishness, faith, firmness, helpfulness, frankness, conscientiousness, cheerfulness, prayerfillness, humility, spirituality, and earnest endeavor.

Her last illness covered eleven years, and at times was intensely painful, in all which she endured as " seeing Him who is invisible." She began the celestial life Jan. 8, 189!). In triumph she entered the home of God and her soul, and shines a gem in the ephod of her great High Priest, to light the feet of her approaching companion and children.


Frances Ann Harlow was horn at Duxbury, Mass., Deo. 28, 1815. Her father, Capt. Isaac Winsor, was a successful ship-master of a merchantman, and her education fitted her for her responsibilities in subsequent life. Aug. 26, 1838, she was married to Rev. William Thompson Harlow, of precious memory. To them were born six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom the oldest son is deceased. Tbe older daughter married Prof. John Williamson, of Chicago. The younger daughter is the wife of Superintendent H. H. Browning, of the United States Express. The three surviving sons are successful in business, and honored members of society, upon the Pacific ocean-board. All live to bless the revered and beloved name of " Mother!"

In 1878 she went from Chicago to Omaha, Nebraska, where her sainted companion deceased, Jan. 21, 1881. In 1884 she removed to Portland, Oregon, and received the generous love and care of grateful children, till she was reunited to her companion, awaiting her in heaven.

Her final illness was brief and unexpected. Suddenly becoming unconscious, death stole his march upon her, hiding his form till she had been ■escorted within pearly gates. She never saw death.

Her character was singularly unostentatious and beautiful. Few but Ood and home knew her virtues and graces. Home was her empire, where she ministered a queen of reciprocated affections. Genuine but unobtrusive in piety, she moved the sunshine rather than the lightning. Dignified in carriage, noble and amiable in disposition, she laughed to scorn old age, holding her friends to the last. She reached the nightless palace Nov. 6,1898.

Her funeral was attended by Rev. H. W. Kellogg of the First M. E. Church of Portland, assisted by other pastors of the city.

"Nor sink those stars* in empty night;
They hide themselves in heaven's own light."


Sarah A. Goodrich, widow of Rev. Nelson Goodrich, died Nov. 24, 1898, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Townsen, in Thompsonville, Conn. She was born in Boston, Mass., Dec. 8, 1814. Her maiden name was Sawyer. She was brought up a Congregationalist, and in early life attended the Old South Church. Her conversion probably took place while attending Wilbraham Academy, where she became a Methodist. In this work of grace she had a clear and definite experience, and she lived a devoted and consistent Christian life. Her last pastor expressed it thus: "She was a Methodist of the good old type."

On Oct. 10, 1842, she was married to Nelson Goodrich by Dr. Charles Adams, Principal of Wilbraham Academy. The next year her husband began his ministry in the Conference, and for nearly half a century they lived and labored together. She shared with him the toils and trialsof the

« PreviousContinue »