Read this book, and you'll:
- Get an overview of the basic technologies you'll need to use to build Ajax applications.
- Understand the XMLHttpRequest object, the core of Ajax applications.
- Build a cross-browser XMLHttpRequest wrapper that you can use in all of your Ajax projects.
- Build an Ajax application monitor that works in real time.
- Learn how to use Ajax without breaking older browsers or causing accessibility issues.
- Get your Ajax application working with screen readers.
- Use dynamic animations to improve usability.
- Build edit-in-place functionality.
- Create an Ajax search application that pulls data from Amazon, del.icio.us, and Google.
- Fix the "Back button" problem.
- Use JSON, YAML, and XML to communicate with the server.
- Build an Ajax drag 'n' drop chess game.
- And a whole lot more!
Throughout the text, the author stresses usability, accessibility, and graceful degradation for older, less-capable web browsers.