Peace in Piccadilly: The Story of Albany
The building was designed by Mr. William Chambers and built in 1771-1776 for the 1st Viscount Melbourne and called Melbourne House. Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany began living there in 1791, and the house was known as York House. In 1802, the Duke lost the house to the banking firm of Thomas Coutts & Company, which saw conversion to 69 apartments (called "sets") as the best way to recover a substantial investment. Since then, the list of tenants, short and long term, is a list of England's most talented and prominent people.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.