Inscriptions: The Funerary Monuments
This volume presents the funerary inscriptions found in the Athenian Agora between 1931 and 1968. In addition, all Agora fragments of the public casualty lists known in 1971 have been included, together with fragments associated with them but found elsewhere, although the latter are not discussed in full. Of the 1,099 inscriptions catalogued here, 238 are published for the first time. With the exception of 6 (previously published), all contain a sure name, ethnic, or demotic. In accordance with the established policy of the Excavations of the Athenian Agora, a photograph is included of every stone for which none has appeared previously. The catalogue is arranged alphabetically by demotics and ethnics; the indexes include names, tribes, geographical names, significant Greek words, and Latin words. The author's unparalleled familiarity with Attic funerary scripts enabled him to offer valuable chronological suggestions for otherwise undatable private monuments and his historical understanding gave new meaning to the public funerary monuments.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
band bottom broken elsewhere casualty saec chipped Christ Church columnar monument Complete drawing Eleusinion father found on April found on December found on February found on January found on June found on March found on November Fragment H III/II Hesperia husband Hymettian marble II/III inscribed inscription Kirchner lacuna late Left side letters Market Square Meritt Middle Stoa modern context modern house modern house east modern wall monument of Hymettian monument of Pentelic moulding naiskos of Pentelic niche Odeion Peek Pentelic marble photograph pl possible probably Raubitschek relief restoration right side ring preserved Roman rough-picked back preserved seems side preserved southwest space stele of Pentelic Stoa of Attalos stone suggests surface top and ring Unpublished vacat wife XVII XXIII Ια ΙΙ α ΙΙ/Ι α ΙΙΙ ΙΙΙ/ΙΙ α
Page 150 - October 24, 1938, in the wall of a modern house southeast of the Market Square and west of the Panathenaic Way (R 23).