Generally a laser (light amplification by stimulated emission ofradiation) is defined as “a device which uses a quantummechanical effect, stimulated emission, to generate a coherent beamof light from a lasing medium of controlled purity, size, andshape”. Laser material processing represents a great numberof methods, which are rapidly growing in current and differentindustrial applications as new alternatives to traditionalmanufacturing processes. Nowadays, the use of lasers inmanufacturing is an emerging area with a wide variety ofapplications, for example, in electronics, molds and dies, andbiomedical applications.
The purpose of this book is to present a collection of examplesillustrating the state of the art and research developments tolasers in manufacturing, covering laser rapid manufacturing, lasersin metal forming applications, laser forming of metal foams,mathematical modeling of laser drilling, thermal stress analysis,modeling and simulation of laser welding, and the use of lasers insurface engineering.
This book can be used as a research book for a final undergraduateengineering course or as a subject on lasers in manufacturing atthe postgraduate level. Also, this book can serve as a usefulreference for academics, laser researchers, mechanical,manufacturing, materials or physics engineers, or professionals inany related modern manufacturing technology.
1. Laser Rapid Manufacturing: Technology, Applications, Modelingand Future Prospects, Christ P. Paul, Pankaj Bhargava, Atul Kumar,Ayukt K. Pathak and Lalit M. Kukreja.
2. Lasers in Metal Forming Applications, Stephen A. Akinlabi, MukulShukla, Esther T. Akinlabi and Tshilidzi Marwala.
3. Laser Forming of Metal Foams, Fabrizio Quadrini, DeniseBellisario, Erica A. Squeo and Loredana Santo.
4. Mathematical Modeling of Laser Drilling, Maturose Suchatawat andMohammad Sheikh.
5. Laser Cutting a Small Diameter Hole: Thermal Stress Analysis,Bekir S. Yilbas, Syed S. Akhtar and Omer Keles.
6. Modeling and Simulation of Laser Welding, Karuppudaiyar R.Balasabramanian, Krishnasamy Sankaranarayanasamy and Gangusami N.Buvanashekaran.
7. Lasers in Surface Engineering, Alberto H. Garrido, RubénGonzález, Modesto Cadenas, Chin-Pei Wang and FarshidSadeghi.