IBM® DB2® Version 11.1 for z/OS® (DB2 11 for z/OS or just DB2 11 throughout this book) is the fifteenth release of DB2 for IBM MVSTM. It brings performance and synergy with the IBM System z® hardware and opportunities to drive business value in the following areas.
DB2 11 can provide unmatched reliability, availability, and scalability
- Improved data sharing performance and efficiency
- Less downtime by removing growth limitations
- Simplified management, improved autonomics, and reduced planned outages
DB2 11 can save money and save time
- Aggressive CPU reduction goals
- Additional utilities performance and CPU improvements
- Save time and resources with new autonomic and application development capabilities
DB2 11 provides simpler, faster migration
- SQL compatibility, divorce system migration from application migration
- Access path stability improvements
- Better application performance with SQL and XML enhancements
DB2 11 includes enhanced business analytics
- Faster, more efficient performance for query workloads
- Accelerator enhancements
- More efficient inline database scoring enables predictive analytics
The DB2 11 environment is available either for new installations of DB2 or for migrations from DB2 10 for z/OS subsystems only.
This IBM Redbooks® publication introduces the enhancements made available with DB2 11 for z/OS. The contents help database administrators to understand the new functions and performance enhancements, to plan for ways to use the key new capabilities, and to justify the investment in installing or migrating to DB2 11.